Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

what is Copy-Only Backup?

what is Copy-Only Backup?

Author
y.koteswarrao-652921
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

What is Copy-Only backup and how does it works?

thanks
Koteswarrao
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Have you looked in Books Online? I'm pretty sure the answer is in there.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

Hi

copy_only is a new feature, it is basically a backup that does not interfere with the current backup chain. As Gail said, BOL does document this feature

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
Robert Davis
Robert Davis
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

It's not new though.

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master, SQL Server MVP
Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

let me re phrase that.

New in SQL Server 2005!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

Perry Whittle (8/9/2010)
let me re phrase that.

New in SQL Server 2005!

I still refer to numerous 2005 features as "new". When you have been using the product since 6.5 first came out . . . :-)

In any case, BOL is a WONDERFUL resource. I do SQL Server Relational Engine work every day and have for over a dozen years, and BOL is ALWAYS open on my desktop!!!

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
jasonlorraine1999
jasonlorraine1999
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

No normal master database entries are added to aid recovery but when I run

backup database thedatabase to disk='c:\thedatabase.bak' with copy_only

I still get a up to date last backup date in database properties in SQL Server Management Studio.

Useful but could be confusing...

J
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights

TheSQLGuru (8/10/2010)
I still refer to numerous 2005 features as "new". When you have been using the product since 6.5 first came out . . . :-)

In any case, BOL is a WONDERFUL resource. I do SQL Server Relational Engine work every day and have for over a dozen years, and BOL is ALWAYS open on my desktop!!!

Hi Kevin

the only reason i referred to the option as new was because the OP has posted in the SQL Server 2005 forum and at this version it was a new option!

Regards

pankushmehta
pankushmehta
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)

hi Jason,

it will be in the backupset table.

however, the is_copy_only field will be 1, which confirms it is a copy_only backup.
eng_mgomaa
eng_mgomaa
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)SSC Rookie (34 reputation)

Copy-only backups are new to SQL Server 2005. They allow a backup of any type to be
taken without affecting any other backups. Normally, a database backup is recorded in the
database itself and is identified as part of a chain that can be used for restore. For
example, if a full database backup is taken, any subsequent differential database backups
use this full database backup as their base. A restore process utilizing the differential database
backups would have a reference to the full database backup, and that backup would
have to be available.
Copy-only backups do not affect the restore chain. They are useful in situations in which
you simply want to get a copy of the database for testing purposes or things of this
nature. Copy-only backups are not supported via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
and must be performed via the Transact-SQL (T-SQL) BACKUP command.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.