SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

changing passwords at next login?

changing passwords at next login?

Author
New_to_being_DBA
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
We are setting up a new system that uses IBM relational system architect. I want to create users with sql server logins and have them change their password at next login. how does the user change their password at next login?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)

Group: Administrators
There's a checkbox if you are on W2K3 and later

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms161959.aspx

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
New_to_being_DBA
New_to_being_DBA
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)SSC-Addicted (406 reputation)

I know about the checkbox. But if the checkbox is checked (that you must change password at next login)...how do you change password at next login? I tried it from Enterprise manager and received an error message? Is their a third party tool? Do you change it through an application front end that uses SQL as the backend?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)SSC Guru (139K reputation)

Enterprise Manager would be too old. It uses an older client technology. SSMS should pop up a dialog.

The client receives a message, and then should display a dialog. It's possible that some older clients might not be able to handle it.

New_to_being_DBA
New_to_being_DBA
SSC-Addicted

I'm sorry I meant SSMS. That's what we have.

I created a user and then checked the box that says user much change password at next login. Then I logged back into SSMS with the user and when I try to log in I received an error message that says: "A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233).

How can I have users change their password at the next login...if they can't log in.

Is there some way to do it through the application?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Are you using a local instance here? The server OS matters here. I don't believe this works on workstation OSes or pre-W2K3. It does work on my local Win 7 instance. In SSMS I get the change pwd dialog.

You can do this through T-SQL, but you still have to log in for it to work. I'm not sure it works in Shared Memory, though it should.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.