SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Concurrent processing in SSIS – Part 1

Concurrent processing in SSIS – Part 1

Author
Daniel Bowlin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice article. I am looking forward to the second part.

I am curious can you please explain the difference between concurrent processing and parallel processing in this context? If you are running processes concurrently, aren't you basically running them in parallel?

Thanks,
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

dbowlin (6/17/2010)
I am curious can you please explain the difference between concurrent processing and parallel processing in this context? If you are running processes concurrently, aren't you basically running them in parallel?
I would generally say yes they are. But additionally you don't necessarily need to have all the processes do they same thing, in these examples you could have each section do something different with the decider being handled in the "Assign Data to Processes" task. So parallel vs. concurrent is more about semantics than anything else..

CEWII
CozyRoc
CozyRoc
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Thank you for the article Elliott!

I think you will find this related information interesting. CozyRoc has recently released a new third-party commercial task called Parallel Loop Task. What this task allows is execution of multiple "Foreach Loop Container" iterations in parallel. The setup is very simple:

1. You point to existing loop container that you want executed in parallel.
2. You select how many concurrent threads you want to use for the loop execution.

In tests, a CPU intensive sequential process when executed in parallel on 4-core machine was executed 3 times faster compared to the sequential.

We believe this new task is very powerful tool that can help you use your computer resources in the most efficient way.

---
SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.