Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

2005, 2008, 2008 R2 on a cluster

2005, 2008, 2008 R2 on a cluster

Author
Adam Bean
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hey all,

Has anyone installed R2 on a cluster already running 2005,2008? Unfortunately I don't have a test environment and I'm a little weary introducing R2 into an existing Windows 2008 cluster running 2005 and 2008 based on issues I experienced with 2008. Was hoping to hear from someone that has all three successfully running in a single cluster.

Thanks

---
SQLSlayer
Making SQL do what we want it to do.
Adam Bean
Adam Bean
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I am hoping to build a TEST environment in the near future to give this a shot, but just curious to as if anyone has this in play and what your experiences were.

Thanks

---
SQLSlayer
Mike.Dougherty
Mike.Dougherty
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Were you ever able to get a test environment up and running with multiple versions? I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 2-node cluster built and running with 3 instances. I need to migrate a 2005 instance to this 2008R2 cluster and I am wondering if installing 2005 into a cluster that is already running 3 instances of 2008R2 is going to be an issue. Let me know?
Adam Bean
Adam Bean
Ten Centuries

Mike.Dougherty (10/30/2012)
Were you ever able to get a test environment up and running with multiple versions? I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 2-node cluster built and running with 3 instances. I need to migrate a 2005 instance to this 2008R2 cluster and I am wondering if installing 2005 into a cluster that is already running 3 instances of 2008R2 is going to be an issue. Let me know?

Oh yeah and with 2012 now as well. Went relatively smooth; however I went in order of installs 2005 -> 2008 -> 2008 R2 -> 2012. Going back and adding 2005 may cause some issues with native client, but not sure what else. You can always reinstall the latest and greatest native client later on.

---
SQLSlayer
Mike.Dougherty
Mike.Dougherty
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Minus what? Also did you install 2005, then 2008, then 2008R2, then 2012? Like I said I have an existing cluster running 3 instances with SQL 2008R2 loaded and I need to install a 4th instance with 2005. So I am going from newer version to older rather than starting with older and installing newer. Make sense?
Mike.Dougherty
Mike.Dougherty
Forum Newbie

Okay. Sorry bad refresh I guess. I didn't see the rest of your message. Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.