SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

lost passwords--any hope?

lost passwords--any hope?

Author
middletree
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
This has probably been asked before. Small company, the former IT people long gone. A SQL Server 2005 database exists, but there's no record of any loginname/password, including sa. And yes, we did try sa and blank. Is there any hope?
SQLDCH
SQLDCH
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Do have the administrator password to the Windows server administrator account that the database instance resides on? If so, and if the former admin did not remove the BUILTIN/administrators group from the 'sysadmin' role, you should be able to log in to the database instance using Windows Authentication.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
middletree
middletree
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)Say Hey Kid (674 reputation)

Sorry I should have mentioned I tried that.
SQLDCH
SQLDCH
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Try single user mode then:

http://blogs.msdn.com/raulga/archive/2007/07/12/disaster-recovery-what-to-do-when-the-sa-account-password-is-lost-in-sql-server-2005.aspx

Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
Jeffrey Williams 3188
Jeffrey Williams 3188
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Before taking the system down and putting SQL Server in single user mode, try adding your windows domain account to the SQL Server specific windows groups on the server. Those groups, by default - have sysadmin rights to SQL Server.

You should be able to add your account and then login using windows authentication.

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs

Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)SSC Guru (67K reputation)

i think you can use the Surface Area Configuration tool to add yourself as an administrator, and then change the passwords of the lost admins, including "sa", right?

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
Jeffrey Williams 3188
Jeffrey Williams 3188
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Lowell, if that functionality adds the users to the right local windows groups - then yes, that should work. If it doesn't, then it will need to login to SQL Server with admin rights - which isn't known.

My bet is that it adds the user(s) to the appropriate windows groups and not to SQL Server.

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs

middletree
middletree
Say Hey Kid

I'm not sure what you mean by SQL Server-specific windows groups.
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

middletree (5/4/2010)
there's no record of any loginname/password, including sa. And yes, we did try sa and blank.
then how do you login now ?

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
middletree
middletree
Say Hey Kid

I can't log in. I know the DB exists, but can't get in.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.