SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to add locations to Open File dialog box in SSMS

How to add locations to Open File dialog box in SSMS

Author
SQLUserC
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hey all,

I have a small issue that's been bothering me. When I go to open a file in SSMS, the Open File dialog box appears. In the left side of that box, there is a panel containing shortcuts to various locations: Desktop, My Projects, and My Computer. I would like to add some shortcuts to folder that I use in this area, but I haven't been able to figure out how. Does anyone know how to do this? I would appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thanks.
Todd Engen
Todd Engen
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

Here's where you'd find that for SSMS with 2005.

\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell\Open Find\Places\UserDefinedPlaces

Add subkeys Place0,Place1,Place(n)

Under each subkey add two REG_SZ values

Name = "Shortcut Name"
Path = "Folder location"

SQLUserC
SQLUserC
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)SSC Veteran (205 reputation)

This seemed to work. Thanks!

Just to be clear, what I did was create a key called Place1 in the folder indicated. I created two string values under that key, one with Name = "Name" and Data = "[Shortcut Name]" and the other with Name = "Path" and Data = "[Path of Folder]".

I don't know if makes a difference, but I'm running Windows Vista.

Thanks again, this method seems pretty handy.
SETH DEBRIERE
SETH DEBRIERE
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

This was GREAT! Thank you.
irina_bit
irina_bit
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Doesn't work for 2008. Any ideas?
Thanks
SQLUserC
SQLUserC
SSC Veteran

irina_bit (12/23/2010)
Doesn't work for 2008. Any ideas?
Thanks

I'm running SQL 2008 R2 now, and this method still works for me. Simply look for the registry path \HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\10... instead of 9...

Hope that helps.
irina_bit
irina_bit
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

working!.. thank you!
Eric Stimpson
Eric Stimpson
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (113 reputation)

Update for Windows 7 x64 OS:

Use HKEY_USER instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER. You'll need to know your current SID (Security ID). This you'll find by looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Hint, the SID for your user will have a ProfileImagePath corresponding to C:\Users\[your login]...
SQLUserC
SQLUserC
SSC Veteran

Eric Stimpson (8/29/2011)
Update for Windows 7 x64 OS:

Use HKEY_USER instead of HKEY_CURRENT_USER. You'll need to know your current SID (Security ID). This you'll find by looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Hint, the SID for your user will have a ProfileImagePath corresponding to C:\Users\[your login]...

I'm using Win. 7 x64, and I am able to modify the places using the original method specified. I'm curious to know if this method is for adding paths for users other than the user currently logged in.
treusch
treusch
Grasshopper

This is an old post, but just wanted to add a "Thanks!" This worked great for me!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.