SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

String length?

String length?

Author
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Awesome Loop.

Great question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Nils Gustav Stråbø
Nils Gustav Stråbø
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

da-zero (4/12/2010)
A small question:

isn't the variable @InputStr stored somewhere? As the loop goes on forever, at some point in time that variable will become too large to reside in memory/physical location. So some sort of out of memory exception has to take place, right?
SQL Server controls the amount of memory each request gets, and will spill to tempdb if the required memory exceeds the memory your request needs. So, no, you will not run out of memory. I did some testing, and it seems that when a variable exceeds 512KB it will start to use tempdb for storage. I have not found any information that can confirm my tests.

Also, the trailing spaces are removed for nvarchar and varchar data types, so the length of the variable in this specific example will always be six bytes.
KevinC.
KevinC.
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (875 reputation)SSC Eights! (875 reputation)SSC Eights! (875 reputation)SSC Eights! (875 reputation)SSC Eights! (875 reputation)SSC Eights! (875 reputation)SSC Eights! (875 reputation)SSC Eights! (875 reputation)

Awesome question. Thanks. Cool
ColdCoffee
ColdCoffee
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

Wow... awesome question.. i misread "while" to "If" in the question and was thinking why this one will end up in a loop.. lol..:-D

good loopy question w00t
Ben Leighton
Ben Leighton
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (834 reputation)SSC Eights! (834 reputation)SSC Eights! (834 reputation)SSC Eights! (834 reputation)SSC Eights! (834 reputation)SSC Eights! (834 reputation)SSC Eights! (834 reputation)SSC Eights! (834 reputation)

Surely the only sensible output from running this is: "Query was cancelled by user.";-)
ColdCoffee
ColdCoffee
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

Ben Leighton (4/13/2010)
Surely the only sensible output from running this is: "Query was cancelled by user.";-)

precisely.. :-D
webrunner
webrunner
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

Paul White NZ (4/11/2010)
Very clever question - with some well-thought-out wrong answers :-)

First one to whinge about the explanation being 'incomplete' gets a banana w00t :-P

Well done.

Yes, this was a good question, including the possible answers. I need to better understand use of LEN versus DATALENGTH.

- webrunner

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Nice question. Fun.

Tom

Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Paul White NZ (4/12/2010)
Christian Buettner-167247 (4/12/2010)
Paul White NZ (4/11/2010)
First one to whinge about the explanation being 'incomplete' gets a banana w00t :-P

Me want the banana *whingingabouttheexplanation*! BigGrin

No results returned, as an infinite loop is invoked. But even if there was no infinite loop, no results would be returned, as the variable is not defined as OUTPUT.

But still, good question & explanation. More of that please!

Excellent, Christian!

Drat Crying, Christian beat me to it! Now there's no point in dreaming up some monkey business with the explanation.

Tom

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.