Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What will be output?

What will be output?

Author
pjdiller
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Representing those of us who are still trying to catch up when it comes to T-SQL, I would like to say that this is a frustrating excercise, which is no fault of Sunil Chandurkar.

I wish SQL would be a little more strict than "smart" (look what I can pull out of a string and add :-)). I agree with several others in this conversation that would look negatively on depending on this type of implicit conversion.

I do appreciate the information! Thanks.
john.arnott
john.arnott
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

pjdiller (3/25/2010)
Representing those of us who are still trying to catch up when it comes to T-SQL, I would like to say that this is a frustrating excercise, which is no fault of Sunil Chandurkar.

I wish SQL would be a little more strict than "smart" (look what I can pull out of a string and add :-)). I agree with several others in this conversation that would look negatively on depending on this type of implicit conversion.

I do appreciate the information! Thanks.

But, then again, the implicit conversion features let us create little gems like this:
Select 3*3e3+3e3/3ee3e,3e3e3e3e

Try to parse that manually before you copy/paste to SSMS.
John Carlson-431129
John Carlson-431129
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)

vk-kirov (3/25/2010)
Hugo Kornelis (3/25/2010)
' ' is converted to the value 0 (run SELECT CAST(' ' AS int); if you don't believe me).

This is very interesting because ISNUMERIC(' ') returns 0.
On the one hand, SQL Server doesn't consider whitespaces as numeric values; on the other hand, it converts whitespaces to zero integer values. This is a little bit strange :-)

This is consistent with the explanation though. It is not considered a numeric until is implicitly converted through a numeric operation with a numeric operand. So, ISNUMERIC(' ') will return 0, but ISNUMERIC(' ' + @a + 2) will return 1.
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

john.arnott (3/25/2010)
But, then again, the implicit conversion features let us create little gems like this:
Select 3*3e3+3e3/3ee3e,3e3e3e3e

Try to parse that manually before you copy/paste to SSMS.
My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

John Carlson-431129 (3/25/2010)
vk-kirov (3/25/2010)
' ' is converted to the value 0 (run SELECT CAST(' ' AS int); if you don't believe me).

On the one hand, SQL Server doesn't consider whitespaces as numeric values; on the other hand, it converts whitespaces to zero integer values. This is a little bit strange :-)

This is consistent with the explanation though. It is not considered a numeric until is implicitly converted through a numeric operation with a numeric operand. So, ISNUMERIC(' ') will return 0, but ISNUMERIC(' ' + @a + 2) will return 1.
No, it is not consistent. According to Books Online, "A return value of 1 indicates that expression can be converted to at least one of the numeric types". Since a space can, apparently, be converted at least to integer, ISNUMERIC should return 1.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
John Carlson-431129
John Carlson-431129
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)

vk-kirov (3/25/2010)

No, it is not consistent. According to Books Online, "A return value of 1 indicates that expression can be converted to at least one of the numeric types". Since a space can, apparently, be converted at least to integer, ISNUMERIC should return 1.

Hmmm. I guess what I am trying to say, is that the ' ' cannot be numeric on its own, but only when combined with a numeric operand. (A parasite, if you will.) So, I still contend that it is consistent to return 0 if there is no numeric operand combined with it.

That said, I think it is a bad idea to even allow this to happen in the first place.
abrazier
abrazier
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)

vk-kirov (3/25/2010)

Hmmm. I guess what I am trying to say, is that the ' ' cannot be numeric on its own, but only when combined with a numeric operand. (A parasite, if you will.) So, I still contend that it is consistent to return 0 if there is no numeric operand combined with it.

That said, I think it is a bad idea to even allow this to happen in the first place.

But:

SELECT ISNUMERIC(CAST(' ' AS int))

returns 1, so the space can be cast/converted on its own to int (as we know) and, as Hugo says, ISNUMERIC(' ') should return 1 based on the BOL description. So the description doesn't match the behaviour, in this case.
pjdiller
pjdiller
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)SSC-Addicted (419 reputation)

just let me say... wow. scary.
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Wouldn't it be fun if T-SQL were strongly typed?

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Peter Trast
Peter Trast
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)

I LOVE implicit conversions! :-D

Peter Trast
Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.