SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

xp_cmdshell access denied to desktop file when logged as administrator - why ?

xp_cmdshell access denied to desktop file when logged as administrator - why ?

Author
isuckatsql
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am logged in as an administrator and each time i run the following query

exec master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'dir c:\users\administrator.mydomainname\desktop\resumes\*.*'

I get an 'Access is denied' error!

This worked fine on my other server, what am i missing?

Thanks
muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

isuckatsql (3/23/2010)
I am logged in as an administrator and each time i run the following query

exec master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'dir c:\users\administrator.mydomainname\desktop\resumes\*.*'

I get an 'Access is denied' error!

This worked fine on my other server, what am i missing?

Thanks

Are the account has sysadmin privilege ?

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy

Helping SQL DBAs and Developers >>>SqlserverBlogForum

SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

Can you post the exact error message.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy

Helping SQL DBAs and Developers >>>SqlserverBlogForum

Shawn Melton
Shawn Melton
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)

Check the SQL service account permissions on the box that is working, versus the box that is not working?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa260689(SQL.80).aspx
When you grant execute permissions to users, the users can execute any operating-system command at the Microsoft Windows NT® command shell that the account running Microsoft SQL Server™ has the needed privileges to execute.

Shawn Melton
Twitter: @wsmelton
Blog: blog.wsmelton.info
Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)

this is a common security issue. The problem is that when you access any resource OUTSIDE of SQL server, like network shares, local hard drives,sp_OA type functions etc, it doesn't matter what YOUR credentials are, like Domain Admin,Local Admin etc, because SQL will not carry those credentials to the "outside of SQL" security context.

SQL Server uses the account it starts with to try and access the resource:

That account is often an account which has never logged into the domain, and was never assigned permissions to get to the local disk or network share.
As a result, you usually need to create a domain account in Active Directory, specifically grant it share access if it doesn't inherit it from Domain\Users or Domain\AuthenticatedUsers and change the account SQL Server starts with to that account.

Once that is done, and you stop and start the SQL service to make it use that account instead of old running values, your linked server/xp_cmdshell would work.

you can prove this is the issue by simply putting in your credentials, with your domain account and password, and confirm the linked server works when SQL is run your credentials, so you'd know you need a domain account to access the resource.

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
isuckatsql
isuckatsql
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

I am logged into SSMS as 'sa'.

The exact error message is 'Access is Denied'.
isuckatsql
isuckatsql
SSCrazy

Lowell,
That work great!
Thanks.
Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)SSC Guru (73K reputation)

glad i could help!

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
ntingab
ntingab
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Thank you Lowell
Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru

ntingab (11/15/2012)
Thank you Lowell

glad this post helped you, ntingab!

Lowell
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.