Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Full backup Scenario

Full backup Scenario

Author
Peter Trast
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)SSChasing Mays (642 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Paul White NZ (3/31/2010)
Thank you, Peter. Of course, there are some edge cases and subtleties, but unless Mr Randal appears and tells me I know nothing about nothing...I'm happy with it.

I don't sweat the exceptions. Concepts first, exceptions later. Can't understand the exceptions until the normal process makes sense. I get grief for using broken analogies to explain concepts like joins but the students like simple explanations, even if they are flawed by real world applications.

Peter Trast
Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Paul White NZ (3/31/2010)

The whole backup operation is conceptually quite simple:

Force a database checkpoint (flush all updated-in-memory pages to disk before anything is read by the backup)

Record the minimum recovery LSN (LSN1)

Database data read begins

Database data read ends

Record the current LSN (LSN2)

Read the transaction log from LSN1 to LSN2

Thanks Paul, that's a very clear description. It answers all the questions I had about whether dirty data is flushed first, when the start LSN is recorded, and whether the final LSN is allowed to be later than the current LSN at the end of the DB read.

And I see the MS design does include flushing already dirty pages to disc despite Hugo's suggestion that this is not a useful thing to do.

Tom

Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Tom.Thomson (3/31/2010)
And I see the MS design does include flushing already dirty pages to disc despite Hugo's suggestion that this is not a useful thing to do.

Yes, I noticed that as well. And was a bit surprised by it.

I'm glad Paul was able to find and post such a detailed description of the process. Thanks, Paul!

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Thanks, everyone. Glad I am not the only one to find this whole area fascinating.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Festeron
Festeron
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)

Paul White NZ (4/1/2010)
Thanks, everyone. Glad I am not the only one to find this whole area fascinating.

Yes, I do too [for reasons unfathomable]

And I'm glad I kinda kicked off the discussion about when the backup knew when to stop. I'm slogging my way through all of Paul's postings, and drawing diagrams of my own.

Again, thanks to all.

Teenu
Teenu
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)

Good question! Tests ones' understanding in a better ways.

Kudos to the Question submitter!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.