SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Portable DTS Packages

Portable DTS Packages

Author
philcart
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Good article. It's a pity Microsoft didn't think through the real-life development cycle for DTS packages.

FWIW, here's what I do with my packages. I pass the Server, database, userid, password, security mode (Windows or SQL) and a logging flag (log execution or not) in as global variables. The first step of my packages is a Dynamic Properties task which sets all the connection properties.

In the case of using a datapump, I also store the source and destination in a table and assign them dynamically at runtime. Generally the source is an SQL statement and the destination is a three part table name.

Because everything is dynamic the packages are easily moved through development, QA, Functional Test, Unit Test and Production.

Thanks
Phill Carter

Hope this helps
Phill Carter
--------------------
Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Australian SQL Server User Groups - My profile
Phills Philosophies
Murrumbeena Cricket Club
Antares686
Antares686
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I haven't had a need for this myself so had not explored. But seeing it here gives me an idea what to do if I ever do need. Good article.

Kevin Feit
Kevin Feit
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

quote:

Regarding using a UDL instead...

Thank you for your thoughts.

Using a UDL is certainly an alternative if all you need to control is the connection string. However, the technique described can be used to control other variables, such as the location of input or output files.

By using the batch file, it can also be re-used across multiple packages.

Arguing which is "better" is like arguing whether a screwdriver or hammer is better. The goal was to present a tool - if it meets your needs, great; if not, then you should use something else.

Thanks,
Kevin Feit

Edited by - feitke on 12/11/2002 06:58:11 AM

dbamark
dbamark
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (720 reputation)Right there with Babe (720 reputation)Right there with Babe (720 reputation)Right there with Babe (720 reputation)Right there with Babe (720 reputation)Right there with Babe (720 reputation)Right there with Babe (720 reputation)Right there with Babe (720 reputation)

Good article. Gives us all a way to accomplish a task that will work best in some situations!

Moshe Eshel
Moshe Eshel
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)SSC Rookie (38 reputation)

Great article, personally I use DTS primarily through VB.
I design the package in EM and save as VB then edit it in my editor and assign Variables to the values I want to do progamatically, it works great and allows me to use DTS for high quality and speed issues in the tools I create.
however, the concept of using Global variables is an excellent Idea, and I will start designing my new DTS packages with that in mind. (it is so much easier than browse down the code and look for all the relevant places...

srini_kris
srini_kris
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)

Great article as this is something i have a need for. Since i am copying tables from server/db A to server/db B, is there a way to dynamically select all tables that begin with the letter 't' for example.In other words, i want to copy all tables and the list of tables keeps getting increased because of constant development. Any ideas will be appreciated
-sk

naushada
naushada
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Vey nice, I was really looking for something and was thinking that SQL server must be having this sort of functionality. Lack of time couldn't give time to explore the things.

This technique will be definitely helpful to me in future....-Smile

-Naushad

tcruse
tcruse
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (168 reputation)

Good article, for PB users the pipeline object is an alternate approach, especially for the person that wants to dynamiclly get the table names based on some query, also DTS is not very forgiving of data conversion errors, a nice followon article about handling conversion errors and overflow/underflow during DTS copy from .csv file would be helpful

dwebb
dwebb
Valued Member
Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)

very informative

Undebtedly
Undebtedly
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (188 reputation)

Good article.

We have hundreds of databases distributed all over the world. Anyone tried using DTS to update the schema of distributed databases like these? Is dtsrun.exe distributable?

Steve

Steve Miller
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.