SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

T-SQL Output Clause

T-SQL Output Clause

Author
core-909671
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
The temporary table does not contain a column "CategoryName". It attempts to update a column that does not exist. It would throw an error, not return rows.
john.curran.z3g
john.curran.z3g
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)

IF you have Northwind installed, the statement will update a Northwind Categories table and use the values from the inserted/deleted OUTPUT option to insert into the temp table.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Rich Holt (1/6/2010)
Exclamation I should also caution you about the other way to look at this:

If you insert/update/delete TABLE variable rows inside a transaction, and subsequently rollback the work, the table variable changes are not rolled back with the transaction. This could lead to data inconsistencies.
Be careful.

I agree, be careful; however, there may be a reason that you want the output from the insert/update/delete regardless of the success/failure of the transactions. If this is the case, then using table variables is required.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

mjohnson-909671 (1/6/2010)
The temporary table does not contain a column "CategoryName". It attempts to update a column that does not exist. It would throw an error, not return rows.

Take a closer look at the code. CategoryName is being updated in the Categories table. The OUTPUT clause is inserting the Old and New Category names into a temporary table as an audit of changes.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

core-909671
core-909671
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Ah. Ok. I don't have Northwind installed anywhere.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated

Neither do I.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

dmbaker
dmbaker
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)

Where was the choice for "Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'Northwind'."?

Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated

dmbaker (1/6/2010)
Where was the choice for "Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'Northwind'."?

Actually irrelevant to answering the question.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

dmbaker
dmbaker
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)Right there with Babe (729 reputation)

I know, I got the question right. Just being snarky. :-P

core-909671
core-909671
Grasshopper

Gee.thanks. First time I ever post... thanks a ton. You're the best!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.