SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using SQL Server 2008 PBM to Monitor Free Space

Using SQL Server 2008 PBM to Monitor Free Space

Author
Jayakumar Krishnan
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using SQL Server 2008 PBM to Monitor Free Space

Thanks
Jay
http://www.sqldbops.com
sknox
sknox
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

In this article I’m walking you through how to setup data file free space monitoring using SQL Server 2008 Policy-Based Management feature. You may think “Hey dude this is not a monitoring tool…!” but my answer would be “We can make this feature monitor data files free space on a database or instance”

To which I would add, "and besides, what we're doing here is testing a databases adherence to a policy we have. What better place to do that, than a policy management tool?"

Good article. I only have one question: is there a reason you did Multiply(@Size,Divide(10,100)) rather than just Divide(@Size,10) ?
Jayakumar Krishnan
Jayakumar Krishnan
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)Say Hey Kid (668 reputation)

Thanks for your comments...
No specific reason, both methods will give the same result...

Thanks
Jay
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

I'm curious what value you receive from "data file free space" as opposed to something like disk volume free space.

CEWII
Jayakumar Krishnan
Jayakumar Krishnan
Say Hey Kid

Using Data_File facet has multiple properties including @Size,@UsedSpace, if we Subtract(@Size,@UsedSpace) them then will get the current free space in kilobytes. From that value you can determine whether it meets your threshold policy or not.

Hope I answered your question.

Thanks
Jay

Thanks
Jay
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

So you have a policy of how much free space is within the file, that may be fine for files that have a fair amount of changes but I like to see a very low number for ones that don't (or very little). I was questioning how useful this measurement is, the amount of free space in an already allocated file may be nice to know but I am generally a lot more concerned about free space on the volume that the file sits on, so that I can know that IF it needs more space it can get it.. That was what I was really asking about.

CEWII
Jayakumar Krishnan
Jayakumar Krishnan
Say Hey Kid

But unfortunately there is no facet in PBM for physical Disk volume as per my knowledge, if so it would have got Disk volume properties liek space values as well and that would be nice to get more hold on this measurement. But this article will list only if the data files free space reached/crossed your specified threshold.

Thanks
Jay
PHXHoward
PHXHoward
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (731 reputation)Right there with Babe (731 reputation)Right there with Babe (731 reputation)Right there with Babe (731 reputation)Right there with Babe (731 reputation)Right there with Babe (731 reputation)Right there with Babe (731 reputation)Right there with Babe (731 reputation)

Thanks, this is great documentation.

Can this be modified to find backup drives that are not large enough to hold a full database backup? That way they can be cleaned up prior to the next full backup instead of after a failure. Can this policy be made to total the size of all the databases in the instance and check if there is enough free disk space to hold a "backup all databases" maintenance plan?

Thanks again.

Howard
Jayakumar Krishnan
Jayakumar Krishnan
Say Hey Kid

The PBM is focused only on SQL Server object but not the physical server objects. You can check/verify defined metric values of individual objects in an instance but can not sum up tasks.

Hope I clarified your doubts.

Thanks
Jay
res04qu7
res04qu7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Very informative article.

I am trying to use policy to monitor space at the drive level (for example H: drive). How can I specify this in the condition?
Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.