Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Substring comprehension

Substring comprehension

Author
fzaynoun
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
A empty not null. Substring returns null only if expression is null.
Ronzo
Ronzo
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (553 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (553 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (553 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (553 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (553 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (553 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (553 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (553 reputation)

Toby White (11/2/2009)
Even though A is empty string versus Null the answer is still obvious given that it is multiple choice. In other words it was obvious that the author had just made a mistake between empty/null since options A and C were so far off.

So...
Always assume that there is a right answer, and if none of the above is not shown, try and figure out which answer would be right assuming the author made a mistake.
Don't like this logic at all. It may result in your passing the test, but it requires you to try and figure out what the author "meant" the answers to be.
I used logic that went like this... if you know two of the answers are wrong, go with the one that might be right (i.e. error). Of course my "logic" failed and yours succeeded, this time. :-D

Have Fun!

Ronzo

TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

As some previous commenters did, I got this right by guessing what the questioner had got wrong.

Tom

Frédéric van der Plancke
Frédéric van der Plancke
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

Toby White (11/2/2009)
Even though A is empty string versus Null the answer is still obvious given that it is multiple choice. In other words it was obvious that the author had just made a mistake between empty/null since options A and C were so far off.

Except that A is not so far off. I thought along this line: this first select returns the empty string, I don't know what the second one does, but no answer has "this first select returns the empty string", so the only compatible answer is A: error.

Not nice.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.