SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

UPDATE

UPDATE

Author
Adi Cohn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Like others I didn’t know what to answer. I know that FROM clause can be used in an update statement, but I also noticed that the way that the example was written, it shouldn’t work. I decided to ignore the example and give the correct answer for the question only, but I can understand why many users wrote no because of the example.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
jensgc
jensgc
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)

skjoldtc (9/24/2009)
A suggestion for future questions. Maybe not all questions need sample code.

Although some questions very well could be written without sample code I think it is generally a good idea to have code along with a T-SQL question like this. But - the code should be correct, unless the purpose of the question is to spot the error.
R Wong
R Wong
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)

Sad I answered no because the code does not work. Oh, well!
Aditya Kota
Aditya Kota
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)

My apology guys.

The example provided makes the question confusing.
macrostarrphish
macrostarrphish
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)

I too answered 'no' based upon the example...perhaps the example shouldn't have been given and just the question asked, but if you ran the given statement, it would certainly fail due to:

update table <-- [table]
set a1.coulmn=a2.column <-- COULMN [misspelled]
from table1 as a1, table2 as a2
where a1.colum1 = a2.column2 <-- COLUM [misspelled]

Was this ever QA'd? If I was handed this script to apply to production, I wouldn't have to see it fail to kick it back to the author and tell them to clean it up...
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Aditya Kota (9/24/2009)
My apology guys.

The example provided makes the question confusing.

Otherwhise it was a good question though.
dpr-717046
dpr-717046
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

I almost answered No based on the example even though I use FROM in UPDATE statements all the time. I echo the earlier the suggestions that some questions are better off without a poorly written example.
Kenneth J. Moore
Kenneth J. Moore
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)

I know that the intended database environment for this question was SQL Server so the answer is yes, however if running T-SQL against an Access database, the answer is no. To me technically, the correct answer is 'depends' yes. (Corrected) I just did the research and discovered that T-SQL is SQL Server specific. Access uses JET SQL. I maintain applications that can run against either sql server or access and share 95% of the sql statements. Update queries against joined tables is one area that I have to be specific to the target database.
amit_adarsh
amit_adarsh
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)Right there with Babe (732 reputation)

Yes
and we can use all the DML operation while updation
Tom Garth
Tom Garth
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

amit_adarsh (9/24/2009)

Yes
and we can use all the DML operation while updation

I think you meant to say updationing.

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.