Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Slicing and Dicing

Slicing and Dicing

Author
matt stockham
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)Right there with Babe (770 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
jpowers (8/12/2009)
Personally, I would prefer to pay only for the channels I watch. I see no reason why they can't allow us to pay just for our preferred entertainment.

I'm sure everyone would like to reduce their costs by excluding the channels they never watch. The flip side is that some of those channels that you do want to watch might not exist any more, or they might charge more to receive than you have saved by not bundling. It all depends on whether you like the mainstream channels or something a little more obscure.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

matt stockham (8/13/2009)
jpowers (8/12/2009)
Personally, I would prefer to pay only for the channels I watch. I see no reason why they can't allow us to pay just for our preferred entertainment.

I'm sure everyone would like to reduce their costs by excluding the channels they never watch. The flip side is that some of those channels that you do want to watch might not exist any more, or they might charge more to receive than you have saved by not bundling. It all depends on whether you like the mainstream channels or something a little more obscure.

The other side of the coin is that it may actually be cheaper for the cable/satellite companies to get the extra channels many people may not watch than to not get them from the various content providers. Bundling may be more cost effective for them as well.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
jcrawf02
jcrawf02
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

jpowers (8/12/2009)

But at least you'd be paying for value that you wanted, rather than fluff you did not, to the possible exclusion of what you do want.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
sjsubscribe
sjsubscribe
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)

jpowers (8/12/2009)

You mean more than what I'm paying now for a bundle? In any case, let the market and tastes decide the fate of those individual channels. Right now, we get only those bundles where the cable companies have negotiated favorably. It's not based on demand. Last year, in my area, we had trouble getting pay-per-view NFL because of contract disputes between NFL and cable company though the demand was extremely high.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
And there's the rub, we don't get to negotiate things, or get more choice. We also get what is negotiated, which definitely isn't always a good thing for consumers.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Ronald Bruintjes
Ronald Bruintjes
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)

jcrawf02 (8/13/2009)
jpowers (8/12/2009)

But at least you'd be paying for value that you wanted, rather than fluff you did not, to the possible exclusion of what you do want.

Not necessarily...

Have you noticed the new trend, where on one and the same channel there is bundling? Take for example SyFy channel (named that way because English was unbundled in the educational package? Not sure...), which now not only hosts various gradations of Science Fiction and Fantasy series and movies, but also features Wrestling. How can I unbundle that...? ;-)
GSquared
GSquared
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Ronald Bruintjes (8/17/2009)
jcrawf02 (8/13/2009)
jpowers (8/12/2009)

Not necessarily...

Have you noticed the new trend, where on one and the same channel there is bundling? Take for example SyFy channel (named that way because English was unbundled in the educational package? Not sure...), which now not only hosts various gradations of Science Fiction and Fantasy series and movies, but also features Wrestling. How can I unbundle that...? ;-)

I feel old when I type that I can remember when MTV was a medium for watching music videos....

I consol myself on that point when I realize that I'm not old enough to remember when TV news was about information, instead of about marketing and political indoctrination.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
jcrawf02
jcrawf02
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Ronald Bruintjes (8/17/2009)Have you noticed the new trend, where on one and the same channel there is bundling? Take for example SyFy channel (named that way because English was unbundled in the educational package? Not sure...), which now not only hosts various gradations of Science Fiction and Fantasy series and movies, but also features Wrestling. How can I unbundle that...? ;-)

Funny, but I happen to agree with their categorization of Wrestling into Fantasy.....;-)

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Wellington Aquino
Wellington Aquino
Valued Member
Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)

I believe most of the opinions against bundling, and the 'free-choice' perspective might have their sustained reasons. However, bundling allows a small member of a business model to take a proportional part of it. In the case of Golf Channel, it couldn't be possible for them to compete with ESPN nor FOX Sport, in example. Nevertheless, they have the part of the "pie" that they are entitled to; and of course, its TV technicians, IT technicians, journalists, and reporters, grow up everyday as professionals, and feed their families thanks to that.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Heh... it doesn't matter if anything is bundled or not... you're still going to pay too much. :-D

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.