SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Performance Question

Performance Question

Author
scziege
Valued Member
Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Dear all,

I have a database in which exists a table with 100 Million rows. At the Moment no
partationing, one column caled code with a varchar(10) Datatype as the primary key.

Then I have a stored procedure with a paramter how many Codes I want to create.
In a while loop a make a lookup to the code table to check if the code exists if not
I insert the code to the code table.

Has someone an idea to increase the performance. If i run the stored procedure
with 1 Million rows it runs 15 Minutes, that is too long.

Thanks for all replies

Thorsten
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

Please post table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

scziege
scziege
Valued Member
Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)Valued Member (51 reputation)

Here are the needed Informations:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Codes](
[Code] [char](10) NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT [PK_Codes] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
[Code] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON, FILLFACTOR = 90) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE STORED PROCEDURE

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[CreateCodes]
-- Add the parameters for the stored procedure here
@amount bigint
AS
BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON

declare @tempcode as nvarchar(100)
declare @counter as bigint

set @counter = 1
while @counter <= @amount
begin
set @tempcode = (SELECT [dbo].[RNGCharacterMask] (8 ,'34679CDFGHJKLNPRTVXY') )
if ((select count(code) from codes where code = @tempcode) = 0)
begin
insert into codes (code) values (@tempcode)
set @counter = @counter + 1
continue
end
else
continue
end

set nocount off

END
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Stored Procedure calls a User defined function which generates the codes. But this ist not
the reason why the performance ist so bad.

In addition I add the excecution plan as txt file. and I think the most performance is consumed by the insert statement. But take a look and give me your feedbacks.
Attachments
excecutionplan.txt (49 views, 21.00 KB)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

What are you trying to achieve here? What is this function supposed to do and why?

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

scziege
scziege
Valued Member

Hey,

in the data base we have codes which will printed on packages.

We have two things to do:

First we have the generate new codes in some interfalls. Generating means between 10 and 50 million new codes.

the other thing is to query the database to get a code which is not used, the state for used will be insert in the future.

I hope I can clearify your question.

greetings
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

Can you post the code for that function? Running a function repeatedly in a loop is not the fastest way of doing things, but if I put the function into a set-based insert, it'll still be run repeatedly.

Gail Shaw

scziege
scziege
Valued Member

I can not give you the code of the function
because of security reasons....

Only as much the function generates a code with a security cryption provider.

But I have one Problem because I have to ensure that exact
the amount of codes is generate.

You understand.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

I can possibly write a set-based alternative, but it's not going to perform much better. The function will still have to be called a couple million times and that's going to cost.

Gail Shaw

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

I have a gut-feel that this is not the best approach. What uses these codes and why can a code not be generated when it's needed rather than a few million getting generated upfront?

Gail Shaw

Dave Ballantyne
Dave Ballantyne
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Scalar udfs are generally quite slow and should be avoided.
Try to isolated the issue , what is performance like if you make it a sequential count ?

Also i notice that code is used is the clustered primary key , it could be page splitting on the inserts ?

Clear Sky SQL
My Blog
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.