SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Stress

Stress

Author
notquitexena
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (953 reputation)SSC Eights! (953 reputation)SSC Eights! (953 reputation)SSC Eights! (953 reputation)SSC Eights! (953 reputation)SSC Eights! (953 reputation)SSC Eights! (953 reputation)SSC Eights! (953 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Umm... "pet sheep"?
Phil Factor
Phil Factor
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Umm... "pet sheep"?

sure. Here they are, getting the Exceptional DBA Test from Brad McGehee.

http://www.simple-talk.com/blogbits/philf/BradAndSheepIQChallenge.jpg

here is Shoulder, the crone.

http://www.simple-talk.com/blogbits/philf/shoulder.jpg

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
sing4you
sing4you
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (586 reputation)

Stress exists for everyone and we must learn to deal with it. I've gotten better at it, but my stress handling is still a work in progress. I counter my stress with yoga, T'ai Chi, and singing. I also love to camp and hang out with my friends. Sometimes, I even do all these things at once:-D

Stress can be a warning, however. About 3 years ago, I turned up at the doctor's office with BP of 180/120. They tested me every which way but loose and put me on all kinds of medication. Since then, I've changed jobs (this was necessary) and tried to take things more in stride. I ask myself, "What's the worst that could happen?" Most often, the worst is not so terrible.

Now, my BP is fine. I can maintain a healthy BP with only a little bit of medicine as long as I keep up with my exercise.
Nicole Bowman
Nicole Bowman
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)SSC Veteran (281 reputation)

Love those sheep Phil!

I learned Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help cope with stress. It has been very useful. I also try to keep up with my hobbies: tropical fish keeping, reading, growing vegies (harvested my first broccoli last night and it was great!), photography and running. I have a 22 month old daughter who makes me smile and laugh so much which is excellent for stress. A good red wine is also of assistance!

I really understand the overeating when stressed concept. I tend to do that, so when I put on weight I know I need to look at my stress levels. I was talking to a friend at work about this just yesterday. She is experiencing a lot of stress in her job and she has put on 10kg in 6 months. We both agreed if you can't reduce job stress then it is time to get a new job.

Cheers

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.
GSquared
GSquared
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

I can't say much here about my favorite way to relieve stress, except that it relieves stress for two people at the same time, and helps me get to sleep too.

Makes the stress worth it!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
crookj
crookj
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

I have found that a real quick way to take a step back, reduce stress, and gather your thoughts is to go on a 10-15 minute walk. While it is a little hard to convince the boss that it is necessary, it has proven on numerous occasions to be well worth it. A 15 minute break in a stressful time can reduce the time to fix the issue. A a much better solution can be thought of instead of the 1 minute solution though of under the stressful conditions. Most of the 1 minute solutions may have to be redesigned anyway as some critical elements may have been overlooked.

Luckily for my, I work in an area where it is not critical for the business to have 24 hours continuous operations.

As for home stress... Nothing is better than hugging and looking into the smiling faces of Grandkids.

Joe
hbeazell
hbeazell
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Thanks for the nice reminder.

I love the challenges of IT too. However, sometimes I forget about all the other things in life that I need to stay in harmony or balance. For me it's blasting my Gibson SG with friends, reading, working out and seeing friends.

A year ago I had a coworker die in a meeting. He was carrying way too much on his shoulders. It was sad. He was an awesome guy.

Thanks again Phil!

Howie
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)

Phil,

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. I've been away (enjoying SUMMER as opposed to what's going on in New England these days). I always knew you were more than all right, but PKD fan as well? VALIS, Ubik, Martian Time Slip, Unteleported Man... I could go on. A really weird week I spent in London on my own, hanging out in pubs and reading the Exegesis after work... PKD is a great way to reset your brain to deal with the world.

I think the number of people involved to some degree with the martial arts that are also DBA's and developers is interesting. It sure feels like it's a higher percentage than the general population. It's a wonderful way to relieve stress.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Phil Factor
Phil Factor
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Thanks, Grant,

I believe I have everything that PKD ever had published. I recommend 'Clans of the Alphane Moon' as being the funniest satire the way that group processes work. I've always found it relevant to the workplace. It is great relaxation.

When I popped over to Colorado last year, I wanted to go over to see PKD's grave at Fort Morgan, but nobody I asked seem to know where it was, or how to get there.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)SSC-Forever (41K reputation)

I didn't know PKD was buried in Colorado. I figured it was in California. He spent so much of his life there. Now I'm curious...

Found this:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1490

and this:
http://www.philipkdick.com/aa_g-other-headstone.html

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.