SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

ABCD... of Oracle

ABCD... of Oracle

Author
vijay1327-891581
Valued Member
Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I am a sql server developer/DBA. I am interested to learn Oracle from begining. Can anybody pls guide on this path.

Thanks,
Vj
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)

There are three ways to get started, they are: formal training, self training and on-the-job training.

1) Formal training, you know what I mean.

2) Go to www.oracle.com, download Oracle sofware, install it and start practicing e.g. build your own lab. Oracle documentation is pretty clear and, it's for free!

3) Find a job in a SQL Server / Oracle shop and ask your new boss to involve you in Oracle.

Godspeed!

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
vijay1327
vijay1327
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

thanks for the suggestion. Will start with [2] and see how far I can go.
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)

vijay1327 (7/15/2009)

That's a good starting point.
Once you have your lab in place try to replicate what you do in SQL Server.

At that point you may want to register in a good Oracle forum like http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20; also for free; not just to ask questions but also to browse and see what are the problems an Oracle pro faces in a day-by-day basis.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
ta.bu.shi.da.yu
ta.bu.shi.da.yu
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)

vijay1327 (6/25/2009)
Hi,

I am a sql server developer/DBA. I am interested to learn Oracle from begining. Can anybody pls guide on this path.

Thanks,
Vj

In that case, you cannot fault Oracle's documentation.

Here is my suggested reading list:
* The Oracle documentation list is found here.
* Start with the Oracle Concepts document.
* Do the Oracle 2 day DBA course next
* The performance tuning guide is pretty good, but I've only just started reading this myself.

This is really one of those times when I can definitely say that Oracle comes out ahead of Microsoft, even though Microsoft's BOL is also excellent and quite comprehensive.

Random Technical Stuff
ta.bu.shi.da.yu
ta.bu.shi.da.yu
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)SSC-Addicted (417 reputation)

PaulB (7/15/2009)
vijay1327 (7/15/2009)

That's a good starting point.
Once you have your lab in place try to replicate what you do in SQL Server.

At that point you may want to register in a good Oracle forum like http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20; also for free; not just to ask questions but also to browse and see what are the problems an Oracle pro faces in a day-by-day basis.

Ha! It's funny that their sticky notes deal with exactly the same sort of problems that SQL Server Central contributors face :-)

Random Technical Stuff
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
SSCertifiable

ta.bu.shi.da.yu (7/16/2009)Ha! It's funny that their sticky notes deal with exactly the same sort of problems that SQL Server Central contributors face :-)

Forums are always formus and people are always people ... same issues no matter the subject matter :-D

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.