SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Deploying Databases From Visual Studio Team System Database Edition

Deploying Databases From Visual Studio Team System Database Edition

Author
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Deploying Databases From Visual Studio Team System Database Edition

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
ALZDBA
ALZDBA
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

- Be sure to add GDR R2 to your vstedba (datadude) because it adds some nice db-features.
( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bb3ad767-5f69-4db9-b1c9-8f55759846ed )

FYI: The Datadude's lair: http://blogs.msdn.com/gertd/default.aspx ;-)

I'm not yet a user, but I think if you get the grip, you'll be hooked in a positive way w00t

There's more to datadude than only the schema !

Johan

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere w00t

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution :-D

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me Alien but most of the time this is me Hehe
Florian Reischl
Florian Reischl
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Nice article Grant.

I'm still not the best friend of SQL integration in Visual Studio but I think the new database projects become better and better and it seems to be a good way to maintain base structure. Anyway I hope it will become better in Visual Studio 2010 and/or SQL Server 2011...

Thanks

The more I learn, the more I know what I do not know
Blog: Things about Software Architecture, .NET development and T-SQL

How to Post Data/Code to get the best Help How to Post Performance Problems
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)

ALZDBA (6/24/2009)
- Be sure to add GDR R2 to your vstedba (datadude) because it adds some nice db-features.
( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bb3ad767-5f69-4db9-b1c9-8f55759846ed )

FYI: The Datadude's lair: http://blogs.msdn.com/gertd/default.aspx ;-)

I'm not yet a user, but I think if you get the grip, you'll be hooked in a positive way w00t

There's more to datadude than only the schema !

Absolutely. The R2 release of GDR is a must. The GDR itself created the situation that allows the compound projects to work. The R2 release ironed out a lot of bugs.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru

Florian Reischl (6/24/2009)
Nice article Grant.

I'm still not the best friend of SQL integration in Visual Studio but I think the new database projects become better and better and it seems to be a good way to maintain base structure. Anyway I hope it will become better in Visual Studio 2010 and/or SQL Server 2011...

Thanks

Thanks Flo. I think there's nothing but improvements on the horizon for this. One thing that will cause... friction, is that in 2010, it's no longer a seperate product, but built right into the Developers Edition of Visual Studio Team System.

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru

In addition to Gert's blog, Barclay Hill is posting on best practices with VSTSBigGrinBE. It's worth a read. http://blogs.msdn.com/bahill/default.aspx

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Alexander Kuznetsov
Alexander Kuznetsov
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)

Grant,

What do I need Active solution configuration and Active solution platform for?
This is a database project, not a C# one, so why am I exposed to and maybe even allowed to select Any CPU/x86/64 at all? These settings are completely irrelevant to my database development, are they not?

How does creating a server project speed up my development?
Could it be faster not to create it at all?
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru

Alexander Kuznetsov (6/24/2009)
Grant,

This is a database project, not a C# one, so why am I exposed to and maybe even allowed to select Any CPU/x86/64 at all? These settings are completely irrelevant to my database development, are they not?

Yes, the CPU is irrelevant to your project (although I've never tried switching it). But the configuration works to allow you to set up environments and have the settings change on projects to match the environments.

Creating a server project doesn't speed or slow your development. It acts as a placehoder for server level objects, such as Logins. When you make a compound project using the server project, you can then create users that map to logins without errors within the project. Otherwise, if you try to map users to logins, you will get errors.

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Alexander Kuznetsov
Alexander Kuznetsov
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)SSC Eights! (897 reputation)

Grant Fritchey (6/24/2009)
Grant,

Yes, the CPU is irrelevant to your project (although I've never tried switching it). But the configuration works to allow you to set up environments and have the settings change on projects to match the environments.

I guess I know how and why configuration works, but IMO it is completely irrelevant so it shouldn't be there at all. Why do I need to waste my time to "have the settings change on projects to match the environments." Who cares?

Creating a server project doesn't speed or slow your development. It acts as a placehoder for server level objects, such as Logins. When you make a compound project using the server project, you can then create users that map to logins without errors within the project. Otherwise, if you try to map users to logins, you will get errors.

Well as a database developer I don't know and I don't need to know what the logins are, at least in the environment I work for. I create roles and grant permissions to them, and that's it, and that ends at the database level. Having to create a server project that I don't need seems to be a waste of time.
Having an unnecessary project sit in my solution is an even bigger waste of time, as it clutters my screen, slows down my searches, check ins, check outs etc.

Am I missing something?
Florian Reischl
Florian Reischl
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

I guess I know how and why configuration works, but IMO it is completely irrelevant so it shouldn't be there at all. Why do I need to waste my time to "have the settings change on projects to match the environments." Who cares?

Me ;-)
Since this project types are usually used for SQL Server 2005 or later the CPU configuration becomes really important if you start to develop CLR modules for your database. Maybe this information is a missing part but the configuration is not irrelevant in my opinion.

The more I learn, the more I know what I do not know
Blog: Things about Software Architecture, .NET development and T-SQL

How to Post Data/Code to get the best Help How to Post Performance Problems
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.