SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

CAST

CAST

Author
Rahul Bhosale
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (193 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item CAST
TheRedneckDBA
TheRedneckDBA
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Just for fun I just created a dummy table with a VARCHAR column that I didn't specify the length for, and it made it of length 1.

The Redneck DBA
Noel McKinney
Noel McKinney
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Jason Shadonix (5/20/2009)
Interesting, I didn't know that.

Just for fun I just created a dummy table with a VARCHAR column that I didn't specify the length for, and it made it of length 1.

That's expected for both CHAR and VARCHAR, according to the Books Online when the length is not given the default is 1 during definition and 30 when casting.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa258242(SQL.80).aspx
pcapazzi
pcapazzi
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)SSC Journeyman (76 reputation)

I didn't know that either. I kept thinking the default length when creating a table using the designer is 50. I knew that answer was too easy... Smile

Not very good consistency... 3 (50, 30, or 1) different default lengths depending on how you are creating the field.
The Dixie Flatline
The Dixie Flatline
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

Good question, and good to know. I answered 1 because that's the length you get when you declare a string as varchar without a length. I'm surprised at the inconsistency but glad to be made aware of it.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Good question. Never knew that.

SQL DBA.
kapil_kk
kapil_kk
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

good and easy one....
thanks Smile

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.