SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Disabling Trigger on Replicated Table

Disabling Trigger on Replicated Table

Author
Paul A
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello,

Can someone please help.

I have a job which runs everyday, and has a line of code:

ALTER TABLE DBName..TableName DISABLE TRIGGER TriggerName

Unfortunatelly the Table is part of transactional replication, and I recieve the following message:

Is there anyway of disabling a trigger on a replicated table without dropping the article from the publication??

The Publication exists on a SQL Server 2000 database and is subscribed to from a SQL Server 2005 database, with a SQL 2005 distributor.

Thanks
Mike_D
Mike_D
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)SSChasing Mays (658 reputation)

It would be interesting to know why you need to disable the trigger. I'm guessing that dropping the trigger and then re-creating it is not an option as I'm sure you would have thought of that.

A potentially insane idea would be to create a table and use that to control the behaviour of your trigger. The table would have one column, let's say IsEnabled bit NOT NULL. The column is then set to 1 or 0 depending on whether the trigger is to be enabled or disabled. Then modify your trigger to enclose all the code in a IF EXISTS, i.e.

IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM TriggerEnabled WHERE IsEnabled = 1)
BEGIN
END

I say this is potentially insane because if the trigger fires too often you may grind everything to a halt as a result of constantly hitting that new table. I've seen it before.

And I guess upgrading your publisher to SQL Server 2005 is not an option?

Mike
noeld
noeld
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)

Although this is a SQL 2000 issue and you are in a 2005 forum I am going to give you a clue on how to solve it.

Don't disable the trigger just add some "state" table and check it on the trigger code
(if state is ON, proceed with the trigger code else return from it)

HTH

* Noel
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.