SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Weird datetime conversions

Weird datetime conversions

Author
anders-731262
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Weird datetime conversions
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

The given code gives error that is NOT the option in the provided options...

The Error is :

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near '<'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.

You can check my BLOG here

RBarryYoung
RBarryYoung
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

I couldn't really read this question, It was all just IFCodes.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

The question looks like this (at least on my PC)...

SELECT CONVERT(datetime,-1)
UNION
SELECT
CONVERT(datetime,0)+CONVERT(datetime,-1)
UNION
SELECT
CONVERT(datetime,-1)-CONVERT(datetime,0)
UNION
SELECT
CONVERT(datetime,0)-CONVERT(datetime,1)
UNION
SELECT
CONVERT(datetime,0)-1

Am I about to learn learn something new here, or is it a formating issue...?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.

You can check my BLOG here

Douglas Duncan
Douglas Duncan
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)

Atif Sheikh (5/6/2009)
The question looks like this (at least on my PC)...

UNION
SELECT
CONVERT(datetime,0)+CONVERT(datetime,-1)
UNION
SELECT
CONVERT(datetime,-1)-CONVERT(datetime,0)
UNION
SELECT
CONVERT(datetime,0)-CONVERT(datetime,1)
UNION
SELECT
CONVERT(datetime,0)-1

Am I about to learn learn something new here, or is it a formating issue...?

Hey Atif, it is a formatting issue. All of the <span class=...> text is HTML markup that was not being properly rendered. I had to copy and paste into a text editor and remove the mark up just to figure out what the code was doing. Hopefully someone comes by soon to resolve the issue, or one could technically say that running the code results in an error. Wink
mverma4you
mverma4you
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)

your question may lead confusion as you are usign third party tool to write the query. your TSQL include code inside the TSQL statement.
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

RBarryYoung (5/6/2009)
I couldn't really read this question, It was all just IFCodes.

The code was properly formatted in the daily mail, but not on the site. For those who have lost their mail, or who don't subscribe to it, here is the code as I found it in my mail:

UNION
SELECT CONVERT(datetime,0)+CONVERT(datetime,-1)
UNION
SELECT CONVERT(datetime,-1)-CONVERT(datetime,0)
UNION
SELECT CONVERT(datetime,0)-CONVERT(datetime,1)
UNION
SELECT CONVERT(datetime,0)-1

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Jan Van der Eecken
Jan Van der Eecken
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Apart from the formatting issue, what does it really mean if one adds two dates together? Yeah, I can see that adding today's date and tomorrow's date as in

SELECT GETDATE()+GETDATE()+1

yields

2118-09-12 20:25:12.580

as off the moment I ran the query, since it's just treated like a floating point addition that then gets converted back to a datetime, but does it really make sense to attempt such a thing in the first place?

Anyhow, I got the answer wrong, but did learn something new since I was under the impression that converting a negative integer to a datetime would cause some kind of conversion error.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)
anders-731262
anders-731262
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

mverma4you (5/6/2009)
your question may lead confusion as you are usign third party tool to write the query. your TSQL include code inside the TSQL statement.

Hi,
i cant tell you what went wrong with the formatting. This question was written using the inline editor in the contribution center.

Its too bad, since it more or less ruined the question.
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Jan Van der Eecken (5/7/2009)
Apart from the formatting issue, what does it really mean if one adds two dates together?

Nothing. The explanation is in fact misleading, since that is not what is happening here.

If you check the "addiciton" topic in Books Online, you'll see that it mainly describes addition of two numbers, but also mentions the possibility of adding a number (in days) to a date. So this means that there are two alllowed forms of addition:

1. number + number
2. datetime + number

The form used in this QotD: datetime + datetime is not supported - but it can be made into a supported form by first implictly converting the second datetime expressions to a numeric expression.

Note that this is just an explanation and in no way an attempt to condone this behaviour. Even though the datetime + number form of addition is documented, I would never use it in production code as I consider it a gruesome hack. Please, everybody, use DATEADD(day, number, datetime) instead.

Oh, and I also never rely on the current behaviour of implicit conversion between datetimes and numerics. (shudder)

I was under the impression that converting a negative integer to a datetime would cause some kind of conversion error.

If will if you use smalldatetime instead of datetime... w00t

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.