Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SELECT FUN

SELECT FUN

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Points awarded back and both 1 and 2 marked as correct.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
DPhillips-731960
DPhillips-731960
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Too Funny. I clicked the wrong box... but interesting point just the same. Thanks for the questions!
Arsi Salo
Arsi Salo
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

... And now the original correct choice does not give point...Ermm
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Arsi Salo (4/24/2009)
... And now the original correct choice does not give point...Ermm

... which is entirely correct, since the question has been changed to (emphasis mine):

"What can be the output for this code? (select all that apply)"

And as already discussed at length in this topic, the query only defines which rows to be returned and not the order, so both versions can be the output (even if only one of them actually is when you run the code).

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Jamie-2229
Jamie-2229
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

When it comes to fun and humor (on SQLSERVERCENTRAL), I am very good at getting the answer wrong.

Jamie
Mohamed-401375
Mohamed-401375
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (889 reputation)SSC Eights! (889 reputation)SSC Eights! (889 reputation)SSC Eights! (889 reputation)SSC Eights! (889 reputation)SSC Eights! (889 reputation)SSC Eights! (889 reputation)SSC Eights! (889 reputation)

Interesting question. Highlights the features of two clauses- UNION & ORDER BY
but the phrasing of the question was kind of misleading. That has caused lots of folks to skip the second answer. I agree with Hugo Kornelis that the question could have been phrased a little more explicitly.
Reginald J Ray Jr
Reginald J Ray Jr
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

I chose #1, or maybe #2, but either one is correct, and it told me I was wrong. I know the test developer couldn't have made a mistake so I guess the computer just messed up :^)...
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

I know the test developer couldn't have made a mistake

Hi Reginald,

Do I sense some sarcasm there? ;-)

Anyway, if you selected both #1 and #2, then you should have gotten the point. If you chose one of them at random, you shouldn't - since the question (now!) specifically asks what can be the output, and asks you to "select all that apply".

Read the preceeding discussion for more information about the original phrasing of the question and why this was changed.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Jamie-2229
Jamie-2229
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

select all that apply

Steve frequently goes in and gives credit even if the user does not "select all that apply'. Take note of a qot from 4/27/09. Question says all that apply but credit was given anyway.

Perhaps it should be the case here as well?

Jamie
Reginald J Ray Jr
Reginald J Ray Jr
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

That's a nice thought but not necessary - I just got 2 points credit on a different question - using totally false reasoning - so we're more than even !!

Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.