Great article! Curious on the Side-by-side upgrade process, what is the proper way to do this? I'm currently testing a 2005 -> 2008 upgrade. I've been trying to do the following unsuccessfully.
1. Shutdown existing 2005 instance and install a 2nd one with new name. Patch new one to same SP as old.
2. Backup existing databases via file copy and turn on new instance pointing to existing master db.
3. Manually move all databases over to a new path for the new instance.
4. Run through the upgrade process to 2008 on new instance.
5. Move copied database files back to original location and turn up the old 2005 instance.
I've used this process from 2000->2005 without any problems although now going to 2008 I'm running across some random errors relating to corruption on the master, and very undescriptive errors when attempting to link servers.
Curious, if I should really be doing some sort of scripting of the master/msdb databases instead of file copies... ?