SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Add Styles to Your Reporting Services Reports

Add Styles to Your Reporting Services Reports

Author
Gurpreet Atwal
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (140 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (140 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (140 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (140 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (140 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (140 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (140 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (140 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
This is a good approach but I think that taking the styles into a stored proc or data base for that matter and then using them in the report is a better option. That way the maintenance become much more easier because you just have to alter the SP rather than opening each report in BIDS and changing it. Smile
sing4you
sing4you
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (620 reputation)SSChasing Mays (620 reputation)SSChasing Mays (620 reputation)SSChasing Mays (620 reputation)SSChasing Mays (620 reputation)SSChasing Mays (620 reputation)SSChasing Mays (620 reputation)SSChasing Mays (620 reputation)

Hey, this is great stuff! I eagerly await the articles on using an external stylesheet and also using styles values stored in the DB.

Thank you so much for these ideas!
e.j.egan
e.j.egan
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

Thanks for the info. I applied it to an RDL template I created and saved. One other drawback however is that you can't visibly see the colors from the layout view...which when you have a lot going on in a layout can be confusing (you always have to preview to ensure you have everything. I'll continue working with this for my borders colors and styles which, in my world, are more cumbersome.
graeme.hill
graeme.hill
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

I find that it works better to put my key/value pairs into a resx file and then reference the resource key to get the desired colour. This way it's easier to manage your styles and they can be properly localized. Defining your colours in code seems kind of awkward.
Boyan Penev
Boyan Penev
Valued Member
Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)

Sure, I wouldn't mind doing it. It would allow report authors to choose the method that suits them better. I will send you a draft when I am ready.

Boyan Penev
David Fremantle
David Fremantle
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

e.j.egan (2/26/2009)
One other drawback however is that you can't visibly see the colors from the layout view...which when you have a lot going on in a layout can be confusing (you always have to preview to ensure you have everything.

I began using the styling-stored-in-database approach about a year ago, but for the reason mentioned here I dropped it shortly after. While you're designing a report, if you've got font names, sizes, colours, etc. being pulled from a dataset using expressions, all you have on screen in Layout mode is a generic-looking template, which doesn't give you a true sense of the way a page full of content will be laid out when viewed.

However I still like to have company logos stored in a database and rendered in my report headers from a dataset.

Anyway, I like where you're going with this, Adam, and will look forward to reading more.

David
salman.samad
salman.samad
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)

Excellent article Adam! Looking forward to the other installments.

On a side note though I am amazed that you actually like working with Reporting Services. Before using RS, I was developing reports using Crystal Reports XI and I still feel that tool is way better and more user-friendly. Or maybe I haven't exploited Reporting Services enough yet ...
mohd.nizamuddin
mohd.nizamuddin
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)

Instead of writing function/s in multiple reports (code window). We can make an external dll file (assembly) using one of the .NET language and can use that assembly in the report.
Start adding attributes method whenever required. Which makes this assembly a utility having almost frequently used attributes covered in it.
matias.buero
matias.buero
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

Have anybody tried out to modify the templates from the wizard?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Business Intelligence Wizards\Reports\Styles\en\StyleTemplates.xml

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject\Report.rdl

If found this here
http://beacspeak.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!69043F34B6D40843!125.entry

I've been trying to create a new template with the "company colours and styles" or just modify one of the existing, but all i got when i select the template modified in the wizard is an exception error of the xml
Adam Aspin
Adam Aspin
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)Say Hey Kid (661 reputation)

I discuss templates in the third article in this series, which should be published in a couple of weeks.

I had no trouble getting templates to work, though - and never saw this error!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.