SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA

Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA

Author
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm a little surprised at the "it's not DBA specific" statements. For those who don't know, yes, this site is focused on SQL Server, but it's not a DBA specific site. We've got developers, ETL experts, data miners, BI guys, report writers... just to name a few.

This article was about managing the flow of information as a part of your job and I think it was very pertinent to the work that we do here. From the article I've already ordered the book Get Things Done from Amazon and I'm looking at the TiddlyWiki stuff (although I'm still more than a bit confused by how I would work that with the existing management tools I have).

You guys need to lighten up. Not every article should be how to squeeze another 3ms out of your query.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Robert Davis
Robert Davis
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Grant Fritchey (2/20/2009)
I'm a little surprised at the "it's not DBA specific" statements. For those who don't know, yes, this site is focused on SQL Server, but it's not a DBA specific site. We've got developers, ETL experts, data miners, BI guys, report writers... just to name a few.

This article was about managing the flow of information as a part of your job and I think it was very pertinent to the work that we do here. From the article I've already ordered the book Get Things Done from Amazon and I'm looking at the TiddlyWiki stuff (although I'm still more than a bit confused by how I would work that with the existing management tools I have).

You guys need to lighten up. Not every article should be how to squeeze another 3ms out of your query.

I would agree with you if the title had not specifically called out that it was for DBA's: Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA.

The complaint isn't that the article isn't "DBA specific". The complaint is that the article is not what it claims to be.

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master, SQL Server MVP
Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Robert Davis (2/20/2009)

I would agree with you if the title had not specifically called out that it was for DBA's: Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA.

The complaint isn't that the article isn't "DBA specific". The complaint is that the article is not what it claims to be.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I thought it was very much directed at better ways to get things done, one dba to another. Seems like a pretty valid point, but I could be wrong.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Jason Crider
Jason Crider
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)

I need a bigger staff of technical editors. :-)

MCITP, Database Administrator
A hodgepodge of Information Technology and Life
LinkedIn Profile
My Twitter
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Or I do!!!!! w00t

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Emito
Emito
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)

Thanks Jason, great article!!!
I like the tiddlywiki, tks man.

Emiliano.
Jason Crider
Jason Crider
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (583 reputation)

you are very welcome Emiliano.

MCITP, Database Administrator
A hodgepodge of Information Technology and Life
LinkedIn Profile
My Twitter
bmotekaitis
bmotekaitis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Another super useful tool (and wow, wiki integration would just make it perfect) is mind mapping software. A good one is a commercial product called OpenMind2 by MatchWare, but the price is perfect for foss FreeMind which does it all minus a little Office integration.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.