SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Unable to Send Files to FTP Server

Unable to Send Files to FTP Server

Author
MSSQLBuddy
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (192 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

Sorry if i m wrong. Please try specifying "/" for ur remote path. It should succeed.

Regards
Priya
Omoba
Omoba
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)

I'm having problems with my FTP task on SSIS as well. it's quite different from everything i have seen so far on the forum.

background ...

within my package i have a data flow task; which contains 7 instances of OLE DB source+ flat file destinations. this pulls data from 7 different databases into existing csv files.

i also have an execute process task which merges each of the files with a fixed header csv file

then i have 7 FTP tasks; each sending a file (from above) to a corresponding folder on the ftp server.

the problem is this;

when debugging, the data flow task, the execute process task and some FTP tasks succeed. the failures always stem from the FTP tasks, it is however very random; FTP1 and FTP3 could fail while every other thing succeeds or FTP7 and FTP4 could fail while all others succeed.

on a few occasions i get this error 'Error: 0xC001602A at Package, Connection manager "FTP Connection Manager": An error occurred in the requested FTP operation. Detailed error description: 200 Switching to Binary mode.
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
425 Use PORT or PASV first.'

on others; 'Error: 0xC001602A at Package, Connection manager "FTP Connection Manager": An error occurred in the requested FTP operation. Detailed error description: The operation has been canceled
Error: 0xC002918F at FTP TaskPoland, FTP Task: Unable to connect to FTP server using "FTP Connection Manager".'

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!!Cool
Omoba
Omoba
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)SSC-Addicted (409 reputation)

i have resolved the problem, it was a precedence issue. because MaxConcurrentExecutables was set to -1, it can only execute 2 tasks concurrently successfully and i had seven. there are two ways around it; 1) increase the value for MaxConcurrentExecutables or redo the execution precedence.

All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!!Cool
Jim Russell-390299
Jim Russell-390299
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (895 reputation)SSC Eights! (895 reputation)SSC Eights! (895 reputation)SSC Eights! (895 reputation)SSC Eights! (895 reputation)SSC Eights! (895 reputation)SSC Eights! (895 reputation)SSC Eights! (895 reputation)

Excuse a (probably) dumb question:
Where is MaxConcurrentExecutables, and why does -1 not mean unlimited?
Omoba
Omoba
SSC-Addicted

Jim Russell (4/23/2009)
Excuse a (probably) dumb question

not a dumb question Jim, we all learn daily.

Where is MaxConcurrentExecutables,

MaxConcurrentExecutables is one of the package properties, so if you click on the design window you'll find it in the properties tab.

and why does -1 not mean unlimited?

i don't know the answer to that, but i found out about it on one of the training videos on this site.

Jason Coleman
Jason  Coleman
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)

MSDN state the following...
Valid values are one and higher, or -1. Other values are invalid. A value of -1 allows the maximum number of concurrently running executables to equal the number of processors plus two. Setting this property to zero or any other negative value fails with an error code that indicates an invalid argument.

Why equal to the number of processor plus two I don't know.....
radhika0626
radhika0626
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)Grasshopper (10 reputation)

i am able to urun the task from BIDS but it fails from Agent. any help is appreciated.
Jason Coleman
Jason  Coleman
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (177 reputation)

radhika0626 (5/7/2009)
i am able to run the task from BIDS but it fails from Agent. any help is appreciated.

Most likely this is of course down to security. Running the job in BIDS is done using your credentials, but under the service account that runs the SQL Agent, it probably does not have the same rights.
What error are you getting? Have you got any logging setup and any error message in particular showing there which will point you in any one direction?
kthejoker
kthejoker
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)

1) Make Sure your remote path actually exists. I got this error because I was pointing to a subdirectory that someone had subsequently removed.

2) Use the format "/DIR/SUBDIR/SUBDIR" for your RemotePath.

3) You can't have spaces in your directory names. Maybe you can with a remote path variable, haven't tried it.
kthejoker
kthejoker
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)

1) Make Sure your remote path actually exists. I got this error because I was pointing to a subdirectory that someone had subsequently removed.

2) Use the format "/DIR/SUBDIR/SUBDIR" for your RemotePath.

3) You can't have spaces in your directory names. Maybe you can with a remote path variable, haven't tried it.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.