SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Complicated Comments

Complicated Comments

Author
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
For anyone who cares to know, this behavesas stated in the explaination both for 2005 and 2008 of ma machine (latest services packs).
Jim C-203340
Jim C-203340
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (535 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (535 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (535 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (535 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (535 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (535 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (535 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (535 reputation)

Brilliant question! The nested comment scenario is probably more common that one might think. This is a non-intuitive behavior, yet great to be aware of. Thank You!

Regards,

Jim C

webrunner
webrunner
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

Fiendish question, yet practical. (I got it wrong by choosing 1,4,5,7,8)

Nice work.

Thanks,
webrunner

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Tom Garth
Tom Garth
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

That was FUN!

With all of the commenting that I use, permanent and temporary, I knew this would be a cinch. And like everyone else, I got it wrong. I think the logic is wrong, and that it shouldn't work that way, but what do I know.

I would like to hear from the 48% that got it right. Did any of you get it right without trying it first?

Thanks for a neat QOD.

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

DCouturier
DCouturier
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

This was a pretty good catch!

It got me Crazy

Who the heck would use comments like that. I practice the KISS method which stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid". I use this as much as possible.

D. Couturier
Database Administrator & Architect
Artur Komkov
Artur Komkov
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)SSC-Addicted (455 reputation)

This is really exciting question.
I always had feelings that /* */ has priority on – . And construction like -- /* will lead SQL to ignore /*.
I was wrong! Thank you for so useful information and good lesson.

Artur

Jesse McLain
Jesse McLain
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (407 reputation)SSC-Addicted (407 reputation)SSC-Addicted (407 reputation)SSC-Addicted (407 reputation)SSC-Addicted (407 reputation)SSC-Addicted (407 reputation)SSC-Addicted (407 reputation)SSC-Addicted (407 reputation)

I'm glad that everyone seemed to like the question (and surprising answer); I wondered whether people would object to the obscure nature of the problem.

This scenario came up when I started investigating the comparison of lines of text between stored procedures (http://jessesql.blogspot.com/2009/02/comparing-stored-procedures-part-1.html). I wanted to allow the possibility in the comparison of suppressing comments - that's when I discovered this rather odd feature of commenting.

Jesse McLain
jesse@jessemclain.com
www.jessemclain.com
www.jessesql.blogspot.com
Irish Flyer
Irish Flyer
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

TO Russell,
What version of management studio did you use? In studio 2005 I got 1, 5, 8. I triple checked the executed code to make sure it was the same as the problem shown.
Russ Derrett
Russ Derrett
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (402 reputation)SSC-Addicted (402 reputation)SSC-Addicted (402 reputation)SSC-Addicted (402 reputation)SSC-Addicted (402 reputation)SSC-Addicted (402 reputation)SSC-Addicted (402 reputation)SSC-Addicted (402 reputation)

I'm using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio version 9.00.2047.00

I get 1, 4, 5 and 8. Where has your 4 gone?
Irish Flyer
Irish Flyer
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Using Studio 9.00.3042.00

PRINT '1' -- /* ;PRINT '2' */ ;PRINT '3' /* PRINT '4' --*/
--/*
PRINT '5'
--*/
/*
PRINT '6'
--/*
*/
PRINT '7'
--*/
PRINT '8'

yields a return of:

The parser only shows PRINT '1' , PRINT '5' and PRINT '8' in blue, the rest of the PRINT statements are Green (comments)
SQL Server 2005 64-Bit on Sun 4600
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.