SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Data Length

Data Length

Author
Peter Petrov
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data Length

karthik.nallajalla
karthik.nallajalla
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)

REPLICATE( N'A', 4000000));

what is the meaning of N in N'A'? is it the maximum length.

I executed the below statements,

INSERT #t VALUES (1, REPLICATE( N'A', 4000000));
INSERT #t VALUES (2, REPLICATE( 'A', 4000000));

SELECT DATALENGTH(LongName) FROM #t

The result of the SELECT is

I don't know why i got 16000. Can anyone explain me?
Robbert Hof
Robbert Hof
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

The N'A' means that 'A' is an Unicode string constant.
Unicode is using 2 bytes to encode each character.
The DATALENGTH function returns the number of bytes used to represent the expression.
So in this case, you have to multiply the number in the REPLICATE function by 2.

HTH,

Robbert

Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

karthik.nallajalla (2/1/2009)
REPLICATE( N'A', 4000000));

what is the meaning of N in N'A'? is it the maximum length.

I executed the below statements,

INSERT #t VALUES (1, REPLICATE( N'A', 4000000));
INSERT #t VALUES (2, REPLICATE( 'A', 4000000));

SELECT DATALENGTH(LongName) FROM #t

The result of the SELECT is

I don't know why i got 16000. Can anyone explain me?

Hi Karthik,

Yes, I can.

The result of REPLICATE depends on the first argument. If it's varchar(MAX) or nvarchar(MAX), the result will also be [n]varchar(MAX) and the string won't be truncated. However, a string constant will never be considered ..(MAX) - well, maybe if the string constant is more than 4000 (nvarchar) or 8000 (varchar) characters long, I never tried that. Smile

For REPLICATE(N'A', 4000000), the input string is nvarchar(something other than max), so the result can not be longer than the longest nvarchar, which is nvarchar(4000). That's 8000 bytes, since two bytes are used for each Unicode character. The implicit cast to nvarchar(MAX) when storing the result in the table does not affect the data length.

For REPLICATE('A', 4000000), the input string is varchar(something other than max) -- note no N in front of varchar!!--. The result will be the longest varchar, which is varchar(8000). That's 8000 bytes as well, of course. But the implicit cast to nvarchar(MAX) will translate each of the 1-byte non-unicode characters to its two-byte unicode equivalent, bumping the data length to 16,000 bytes. And since nvarchar(MAX) has no problem storing an 8,000 byte unicode string, it will.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Shaun McGuile
Shaun McGuile
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

REPLICATE function is obviously broken then.

it only gives 8,000 repititions and thus must be geared to old SQL 2000 varchar max size of 8000.

Naughty MS have not updated the function to deal with the new data types.

--Shaun

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work Crazy
Jeff Kunkel-812485
Jeff Kunkel-812485
Old Hand
Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)

Don't forget that the DATALENGTH function is different from the LEN function.
DATALENGTH returns the number of bytes
versus
LEN which returns the number of characters.

That is one of the tricky parts of this particular question.Wink
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Shaun McGuile (2/2/2009)
REPLICATE function is obviously broken then.

Hi Shaun,

No, it's not. It just adheres to the standard operating procedure of datatype in = datatype out.

CREATE TABLE #t
(ID int,
LongName nvarchar(MAX));

INSERT #t
VALUES (1, REPLICATE(CAST(N'A' AS nvarchar(MAX)), 4000000));

SELECT DATALENGTH(LongName) FROM #t WHERE ID = 1;

Returns 8000000.

Shaun McGuile
Shaun McGuile
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Hugo: so what you are saying is that REPLICATE uses varchar sizing i.e. 8000 and not the destination size unless you explicitly instruction the function to use something else as shown in your code. Wink

Dumb function ! Tongue

--Shaun

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work Crazy
karthik.nallajalla
karthik.nallajalla
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)SSC Journeyman (94 reputation)

Thanks Robbert and Hugo for helping me out.
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach

Shaun McGuile (2/2/2009)
Hugo: so what you are saying is that REPLICATE uses varchar sizing i.e. 8000 and not the destination size unless you explicitly instruction the function to use something else as shown in your code. Wink

Dumb function ! Tongue

Hi Shaun,

I'd use different words, but basically you're right.

And by the way, this is not limited to REPLICATE but applies to all expressions in SQL Server. The division below discards the fraction because the dividend of two integers is defined to be an integer, regardless of whether the result will later be assigned to a float variable.

DECLARE @i1 int, @i2 int, @f1 float;
SET @i1 = 10;
SET @i2 = 3;

SET @f1 = @i1 / @i2;
SELECT @f1;

And as far as I can remember, all other programming languages I have been involved with behave similarly.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.