SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using the Service Audit Object in SQL Server 2008

Using the Service Audit Object in SQL Server 2008

Author
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (23K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using the Service Audit Object in SQL Server 2008

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
anand.ramanan
anand.ramanan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
You mention that SQL Server Audit object is available in any version of SQL other than Express, however, Audit is only available in 2008 Enterprise. Is there a water down version of auditing available in versions other than 2008. What alternatives are available to perform similar auditing when not using Enterprise edition?
K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck

What I said in the article was that just about every edition above Express *could* use it. But Microsoft chose to only put it in Enterprise Edition. For those of us who started using Standard Edition for 2-node HA clusters, this hurts. Standard Edition is economical and meets our needs. Enterprise Edition is pricey. But if we want to use the Audit object, we've got no choice but to use Enterprise.

As far as alternatives, there's nothing similar to it in the other versions.

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.6K reputation)

Great article...

andynold
andynold
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

What are recommended options for auditing tools and/or utilities for people that are using the MS-SQL standard and web editions?

We have a public facing web site where our biggest auditing need (in addition to what we can see in the regular OS event logs) is to track DBA actions.
Atiq Rahman-266579
Atiq Rahman-266579
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)

Hi Brian,

Very nice article. I was able to configure the auditing but I am not getting the parameter values in the audit.

Ex. If some executed a query as follows:
select name, age from dbo.employees where empno = 100.

This above query is being audited as follows:
select name, age from dbo.employees where empno = @1.

How can I get the value of @1?

Regards,
Atiq Rahman
Atiq Rahman-266579
Atiq Rahman-266579
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (102 reputation)

Hi Brian,

Very nice article. I was able to configure the auditing but I am not getting the parameter values in the audit.

Ex. If some executed a query as follows:
select name, age from dbo.employees where empno = 100.

This above query is being audited as follows:
select name, age from dbo.employees where empno = @1.

How can I get the value of @1?

Regards,
Atiq Rahman
K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck

This may be one of the weaknesses in the Audit Object. I need to play around a bit more to see if you can capture the parameter, but at first glance, I'm not sure you can.

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
abbala2008
abbala2008
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Hi,

Nice article....You have done good job....Thank you.....

---------------------------------------
Auditing Tools
Wayne West
Wayne West
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

Brian, thanks much for this article! It was exactly what I needed to get a test system going to explore what the audit offered. I had been fiddling with it to no avail, read your article, and had it running shortly thereafter.

I was a little disappointed that the file export was to log format, I was hoping I could get it out as a CSV. There is the export function, I think I'll be looking in to automating dumping the contents to a text file.

I think it's basically a good thing, but it still has some growth.

-----
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.