SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Starting a Job

Starting a Job

Author
rightfield
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi, I would like to have a procedure start a job, is that possible to do and to do it without waiting for it to finish. Also I tried to find in various msdb..sysjob.... how to check if the job is executing. Is this possible?
Warm regards, Hope
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Check BOL (Books Online). The procedure you are looking for is msdb.dbo.sp_start_job (or in BOL, just sp_start_job).

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Michael Earl-395764
Michael Earl-395764
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

msdb..sp_help_job will return the status of job(s) to determine if they are currently running.
rightfield
rightfield
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)

Thank you both. Warm regards, Hope
rightfield
rightfield
SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi Lynn, I get the following error:

Cannot add rows to sys.sql_dependencies for the stored procedure because it depends on the missing table 'dbo.sp_start_job'. The stored procedure will still be created; however, it cannot be successfully executed until the table exists.

my call is:

IF (DATEPART(WEEKDAY,GETDATE())=1 OR DATEPART(WEEKDAY,GETDATE())=7)
BEGIN
EXEC dbo.sp_start_job @job_name='ManualSync',@server_name='SQL_01, @step_name='Update_1'
END

Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

h.schlais (12/15/2008)
Hi Lynn, I get the following error:

Cannot add rows to sys.sql_dependencies for the stored procedure because it depends on the missing table 'dbo.sp_start_job'. The stored procedure will still be created; however, it cannot be successfully executed until the table exists.

my call is:

BEGIN
EXEC dbo.sp_start_job @job_name='ManualSync',@server_name='SQL_01, @step_name='Update_1'
END

You're missing something very important, see below:

BEGIN
EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_start_job @job_name='ManualSync',@server_name='SQL_01, @step_name='Update_1'
END

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

rightfield
rightfield
SSC-Enthusiastic

Yes, thank you.
rightfield
rightfield
SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi Lynn, if someone someday changes the name of the job my procedure would break. Where do I find the job_id? It is less likely that someone will delete the job. Warm regards, Hope
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated

You will find it here: msdb.dbo.sysjobs

If you use the job_id, if they drop and recreate your job, the procedure will also break.

Best thing to do is document your job and that it is executed from your specified stored procedure.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

KumarVelayutham
KumarVelayutham
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)

How can i start the next job step of job in the same job?

I have tried like '--EXEC msdb.DBO.sp_start_job @job_name ='dhhjdhjj', @server_name = N'Sdhjhjfhjfhj',@step_name ='step1'

But getting the below error

Executed as user: ssss-agent. SQLServerAgent Error: Request to run job 'dhhjdhjj' (from User ssss-agent) refused because the job is already running from a request by User PROD\5555ff. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 22022). The step failed.

Need:If records exists in the first step of job output,,next step of the same job will execute ,otherwise quit.

Try to resolve this error?

Regards,
Kumar
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.