SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server Options to Avoid - SQL School Video

SQL Server Options to Avoid - SQL School Video

Author
Brian Knight
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Options to Avoid - SQL School Video

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
mark-822230
mark-822230
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Go ahead and set your two terabyte database to autogrow by 10% and enjoy the wonderful performance this video suggests (as you look for a new job)...I dare you.

Or do something sane and calculate the maximum amount of wait time your users are willing to tolerate, determine the amount of space Sql Server can initialize in that time, and set the value appropriately.
info-950866
info-950866
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Great Brian,

I'm a student right now and these tips and advices of yours are very usefull.

Thanks!
info-950866
info-950866
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

mark (1/6/2009)
Go ahead and set your two terabyte database to autogrow by 10% and enjoy the wonderful performance this video suggests (as you look for a new job)...I dare you.

Or do something sane and calculate the maximum amount of wait time your users are willing to tolerate, determine the amount of space Sql Server can initialize in that time, and set the value appropriately.

Oh Mark, If it is situation of 2 TB size database, that would be probably partitionated on 5-10 HDD... I think that Brian stated that it depends on the case, and the 10% was just an example. Man should think a little bit before. If I have a database with grow of 5-7% I´ll put 10%, but if it is much less, maybe is better to do that manually.

Planing is also important.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)

mark (1/6/2009)

Or, better yet, monitor the free space and growth of the DB and grow it manually during maintenance time before the auto-grow kicks in.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

MudLuck
MudLuck
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (525 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (525 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (525 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (525 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (525 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (525 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (525 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (525 reputation)

No sp_configure talk?

Should I turn parallelism on or off hahahha!!!

Are we just Gui's these days?

Brian your voice sounds different in person.

Loved the Analysis service class last April.

T

belgarion
belgarion
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)

Hi Brian,

I click the play to watch the vid and get "welcome to jumpstart tv dot com" and what looks like the start of the vid ... but with the 'play' circle in the middle. If I click - I loop through the intro and stop at the same point. Basically I can't get past the "welcome to jumpstart tv dot com" intro. Using IE7, W2K3 Server Ent,
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.7K reputation)

It was playing ok in my machine. I am also using IE 7.

FFalcon1961
FFalcon1961
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)

I believe the it was a suggestion and to base it on the size of your database and expected growth based on 2 months of growth.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.