Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Exchange OLE DB Provider

Exchange OLE DB Provider

Author
jamesnt
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello Everyone,

We need to access an Exchange Server public folder store to get a list of public folders, and their contents, to put up on a report.

Our setup:

Small Business Server 2003 R2 Premium Edition - all service packs and updates installed.

NOTE: We did NOT install SQL 2005 Workgroup - we purchased and installed SQL 2005 Standard to get the BI tools.

Unfortunatley, I can't seem to get the cooperation of the Exchange OLE DB provider.

The settings I'm using for the connection manager are as follows:

Server or file name: http://myserver/exchange

Use a specific user name and password: username = Administrator Password = ********

Allow saving password = TRUE

When I test the connection, I get the following error:

Test Connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. No error message available, result code: DB_E_NOTFOUND(0x80040E19).

Thank you all,
JamesNT
Elisabeth Rédei
Elisabeth Rédei
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)

Hi James,

Can you try to set it up in SQL Server Management Studio by following the steps (there are not many) in "OLE DB Provider for Exchange" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191461(SQL.90).aspx?

/Elisabeth

elisabeth@sqlserverland.com
MCITP | MCT
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/elisabeth_redei/
http://linkedin.com/in/elisabethredei
jamesnt
jamesnt
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

Thank you for the response. I just figured out that my connection string is completely wrong. It should be

file:\\.\backofficestorage\mydomain.com\public folders

Looking at the folder view from Outlook, directly under All Public Folders I have a public folder called PDM Fax. Under that folder are almost 50 sub folders, each representing a person we get a fax from (our fax server automatically routes the faxes as PDF files to the right folder).

I need to loop through each folder and get the name and created date of each PDF file in that folder.

If I can get that information into a sql table, I can show a report as to which folder has how many faxes remaining and when those faxes where entered (aka how long they've been there).

JamesNT
jamesnt
jamesnt
SSC Rookie

I just created the linked server. Under the SQL Server Management Studio, I can see all the folders under the PDM fax folder as tables.

Now I just have to get the data I want out of them.

JamesNT
jamesnt
jamesnt
SSC Rookie

I think I've got it. I'll post details as soon as I get a few free minutes as this may prove useful to others.

JamesNT
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.