SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Is It Worth Upgrading to SQL Server 2008

Is It Worth Upgrading to SQL Server 2008

Author
(*)
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I agree that they really over weighted the new features to the Enterprise Edition. I think it's silly to expect me (or anyone) to pay 10 times the prices for EE vs SE just to get compression. If MySql had decent developer tools and a clear future I'd probably bail on Microsoft. If they want to keep getting my money maybe they'll throw me a few bones because MySql will probably get its act together soon.
mprest7
mprest7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

One big item the author missed was SQL 2008 Filestream. Instead of filling your DB with images, etc... you can use FileStream to map these images through the DB. They can live on a file system instead of in your DB. Apparently this functionality has existed in Oracle and Microsoft has finally caught on. This is especially useful for web-based DB's where you can reference all kind of backend files.

There seems to be a debate about whether filling your DB with things like images is a good idea. Just because you can put all kinds of stuff in your DB, is it a good idea?

http://blogs.msdn.com/pedram/archive/2007/06/04/store-any-data-in-sql-server-2008-katmai.aspx
Markus
Markus
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Good article ! I guess I did not realize all of those goodie features in SQL 2008 were in Enterprise Edition. Yikes ! Your article was an eye opener. I guess I never really thought about it in the way you presented it. We have mostly SQL 2000 here, just a few SQL 2005 because we cannot justify moving to SQL 2005 with 2008 now out.

Ryan-209402
Ryan-209402
Old Hand
Old Hand (383 reputation)Old Hand (383 reputation)Old Hand (383 reputation)Old Hand (383 reputation)Old Hand (383 reputation)Old Hand (383 reputation)Old Hand (383 reputation)Old Hand (383 reputation)

We use Litespeed for SQL Server for backups and I was hoping to see those features included with SQL 2008 Standard (e.g. backup compression/encryption). I also hope to see the old "disable foreign key" feature return to the data copy wizard. As of now, I don't see any reason to upgrade from 2005 Standard to 2008 Standard.
OCTom
OCTom
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

The most compelling reason of all to upgrade is if it makes business sense. If a software product uses it or there are some features that make your organization more efficient and more profitable, then upgrade. We are running a combination of SQL Server 2000 & 2005 primarily because the critical business software runs on them. When the software running on 2000 upgrades to 2005/2008, we will upgrade.
juliancastiblancop
juliancastiblancop
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

wow, It's a bad notice, I heard in a conference that the strategy of Microsoft is release a new product version each 3 years and release service pack each year.
andrew_stevenson
andrew_stevenson
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

Another reason to upgrade is Microsoft support of virtual datacentres. If you are running on Windows Server 2008 & SQL Server 2008 and you need support from Microsoft then they will give full support to your virtual environment. (Hyper V or VMware) Currently, they may ask you to recreate the problem in a physical environment before they will get involved.
Jon Monahan
Jon Monahan
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

We have a 2005 cluster, and two standalone 2005 boxes for reporting, as well as a few 2000 boxes. All are enterprise version. The 2005 boxes do not seem to have a really compelling reason to upgrade at this time; however, the 2000 boxes were slated for upgrade to 2005. At this point, we're looking to leapfrog and go straight to 2008 next year...I'm sure that'll be just in time for the next release of SQL Server - so we'll be behind the curve one more time!
shaun.ryan
shaun.ryan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

skjoldtc makes a good point. Having a blanket policy on which version thorughout the organisation isn't good. If an application can deliver better ROI by upgrading then it's winner.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)SSC Guru (81K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Good article and with versions coming every 3 years, they're close enough that I'm not sure you gain anything from having forklift upgrades of all servers. Kilmanjaro, the next version or partial version is slated for the first half of 2010, which is really only 18 months!

I'm sure some of those features will trickle to Standard, but for now, be sure you read carefully that's not in there. Quite a few cool features are in Enterprise only. However 2008 does seem like a good product and if you use some things, like Full-text, need images (A great white paper from Paul Randal here: ) and want to try PBM, it's worth considering.

I also wouldn't upgrade to 2005 right now. I'd go directly to 2008, and push vendors to certify it ASAP. With the versions coming quicker, I wouldn't be surprised to see the support policy drop to 6 years for mainstream versions.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.