I've read a lot of the posts and it has been most helpful but the database server drive recommendations seem to be situation specific.
Dell PE 2900 16gb RAM, 1 quad core 2.5ghz cpu (for now), 8 + 2 drive bays, Sql Server 2005 Standard
- how many users? 25 concurrent users
- how big are the databases? 2 databases , 1 - 60gb, 1 - 600gb
- oltp or dss? 90% oltp, 10% dss
- how much read versus write activity? 66% read, 33% write
- when running reports/batch jobs how much data would be read? largest table (Account Master) is 4.6gb and it is hit in every job/report
- if you know then what sort of IO rate do you need for your apps? Don't know. What I can say is that the oltp users are on the other side of a VPN tunnel over 10mb Internet connection and that is where I need to focus my performance.
I need to fill up the 10 drive bays with some RAID configuration/s of: OS & Binaries, Data, TLogs, Tempdb?
I have two Drive Choices for the 10 bays (max out while I have the budget): 450gb 15K SAS, 1tb 7.2K Nearline SAS
I considered the 1tb 7.2k Nearline SAS due to $ savings and increased capacity but am waffling due to possible performance decrease?
What would be your suggestions?
Much Thanks, Briang