SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Trace

SQL Trace

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Trace

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Robert-378556
Robert-378556
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It's like the question: What is the color of apples?
a) some are red, some are green
b) some are red, some are yellow
c) partly red, partly green
d) brown

Which answer is 100% correct? None and all of them.
michael.kaufmann
michael.kaufmann
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Can't but agree with you.

"[...] If the disk fills while the database is online, the database remains online, but data cannot be inserted. [...]" (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366198.aspx)

So I guess it's one of those "you're basically right but you haven't got it right" things. Wink
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

With a server side trace you can choose the drive to which the trace goes. One of the benefits of doing that is that it won't fill up the drive where the OS resides. I would not choose the drive that the data files are on.
michael.kaufmann
michael.kaufmann
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

You are perfectly right and I fully agree.

However, my comment was targeted at the way the question of the day was worded--there is no indication of where the trace would be stored and hence leaving room for actually 'check all that apply' and not just 'one correct' answer. Just as Robert pointed out in the first comment.
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (92K reputation)SSC Guru (92K reputation)SSC Guru (92K reputation)SSC Guru (92K reputation)SSC Guru (92K reputation)SSC Guru (92K reputation)SSC Guru (92K reputation)SSC Guru (92K reputation)

Sometimes, I think people think too hard with some of the questions.

Cool

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)SSC Guru (142K reputation)

Even if the disk fills up, data can be interested into a database provided it does not need to grow. Databases typically have free space in them, and if yours don't, I'd argue you aren't managing them well.

The question is about trace, not about databases, and you're making assumptions that don't need to be made. The questions typically are based on a simple situation, not trying to cover all bases.

michael.kaufmann
michael.kaufmann
SSCommitted

Apologies for my wholistic approach and for quoting MSDN.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

You misquoted MSDN. The quote before that says IF the data files need more space and can't get it, a database engine error is issued. The quote misleads people to believe that SQL Server behaves like Word, Excel, Access, etc. in that every insert requires new disk space.

Shubh Chandra Jha-248340
Shubh Chandra Jha-248340
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (137 reputation)

I think question is good and answer is also good.

Out of space not stop your service, but it also not allow to continue your work

Cool
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.