SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Generate a SQL Server Instance Inventory

Generate a SQL Server Instance Inventory

Author
Nick-957131
Old Hand
Old Hand (356 reputation)Old Hand (356 reputation)Old Hand (356 reputation)Old Hand (356 reputation)Old Hand (356 reputation)Old Hand (356 reputation)Old Hand (356 reputation)Old Hand (356 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for your article and follow up - very helpful to me as a new DBA.
I did have some issues importing my text file re. truncation and "characters not recognized in the code base".

Did anyone else experience this issue? I can give more specifics as needed.

Thanks,
Nick
back2boston
back2boston
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

Hi Sakthivel -

I was able to get the sqlinv file per your attachment in this post (which I think might actually be an RDL file per your screenshot, and not a DLL file as you indicate in your article??) but then in the next step for creating the report, you mention a "inventory.rds.txt" file that you probably meant to include but didn't. So we need this as well in order to try your process. Thank you --- please either post it here or email me at jfordbos@yahoo.com. Very much appreciated! - James
Sakthivel Chidambaram
Sakthivel Chidambaram
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Hi,
Refer to 8th post in http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic563572-1307-1.aspx for download the missing attachments...

Regards,
Sakthi
My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc
back2boston
back2boston
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

Sorry, but I must be blind, because I've looked throughout this thread very carefully for the INVENTORY.RDS.TXT file that you reference in step 6 or your article and it is nowhere to be found.

You did provide the SQLINV.RDL file (not DLL --- there are no DLL's anywhere in this process as far as I can tell) as attachment SQLINV.TXT (to be renamed .RDL for using it in Step 5). I have that, and that worked fine...

I just need the missing INVENTORY.RDS.TXT that is to be saved/renamed INVENTORY.RDS once SQL instance name is edited.

Please help with that missing INVENTORY.RDS.TXT file. Thank you!
Sakthivel Chidambaram
Sakthivel Chidambaram
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Hi James,
It's me who is blind.. I guess i overlooked the attachments... The file you are looking for is datasource which you can create manually to the SQL Server where inventory data is stored. Retain "Inventory.rds" as the name... I don't have a copy of it now, I will upload after 12 hrs from now...

Regards,
Sakthi
My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc
back2boston
back2boston
Grasshopper

Thank you --- I will look forward to receiving the file, else if you tell me (and others) how to create it (if it's not too difficult, especially for myself---a known SQL DBA wannabe! ha!), then we can just go that route. Either way, it's appreciated. Thanks again.
slofamia
slofamia
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Hello Sakthi. In line with the last post, where is the RDL? Please advise. Thanks.
texas1236
texas1236
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)SSC Rookie (42 reputation)

Hi There,

I worked on a similar solution to collect Windows and SQL Server inventory by gathering scripts from SQL Family and released it as a free tool at crazydba.com. The tool uses powershell to grab data from all servers and stores it in SQL tables and can be viewed using SSRS reports.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.