SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Operations Manager and SQL Server

Operations Manager and SQL Server

Author
SQLRockstar
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Operations Manager and SQL Server

----------------------
https://thomaslarock.com
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Nice article...Smile

Dugi
Dugi
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.9K reputation)

Not bad ...Hehe

============================================================
SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (188K reputation)SSC Guru (188K reputation)SSC Guru (188K reputation)SSC Guru (188K reputation)SSC Guru (188K reputation)SSC Guru (188K reputation)SSC Guru (188K reputation)SSC Guru (188K reputation)

Nice article, Tom. Thanks for sharing that solution. I'm passing it on to our OpsMgr admin to see if he can use it.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Antares686
Antares686
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (50K reputation)SSC Guru (50K reputation)SSC Guru (50K reputation)SSC Guru (50K reputation)SSC Guru (50K reputation)SSC Guru (50K reputation)SSC Guru (50K reputation)SSC Guru (50K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Good article. We have been using Op Manager for a while and even thou it isn't my responsibility to monitor I have certain events emailed to me as I am the one who corrects them anyway and don't want to have to wait for the call as they are setup to notify me before they are really an issue.

Jon Monahan
Jon Monahan
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

One more tool to look into. I certainly like the dashboard for a quick view of the overall health of all of the servers... Thanks for the article.
einman33
einman33
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.4K reputation)

Great article, thank you.
Marios Philippopoulos
Marios Philippopoulos
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

This is something I have been looking forward to for a while.

There is not a lot of SQL-Server-specific SCOM info out there.

Thanks!

__________________________________________________________________________________
SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables
Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

Good article. But, OpsMgr is not as accurate and trust worthy as it has to be. I implemented it couple of weeks back and even though my dev two servers are down for network issue for more than 24 hrs, it still showed me as "healthy", which was not.

But, I agree it does reduces some efforts of DBA but not all.

SQL DBA.
Marios Philippopoulos
Marios Philippopoulos
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

SanjayAttray (7/23/2008)
Good article. But, OpsMgr is not as accurate and trust worthy as it has to be. I implemented it couple of weeks back and even though my dev two servers are down for network issue for more than 24 hrs, it still showed me as "healthy", which was not.

But, I agree it does reduces some efforts of DBA but not all.

In a recent MS survey I gave it a 6 out of 10 as a product. Yes, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. We have recently had to re-install the whole thing because the OpsMgr agents were not working properly and SQL job discovery was not working! I spent an enormous amount of time trying to get the thing to work, even with help from MS support!

So, yes, in my opinion, the product is not on the same level of quality as SQL Server at this point. But the premise I think is there, and the more we all use it the better it will be in future versions.

For one thing, its customization features, along with introduction of powershell, are very promising.

__________________________________________________________________________________
SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables
Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE
Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.