Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Windowed Aggregate functions

Windowed Aggregate functions

Author
Matt Miller (#4)
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Windowed Aggregate functions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
OCTom
OCTom
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Good question. I love learning new things and this is a new one on me. I can keep this for my bag of tricks.

Is there a downside to doing this? The code is clean but my gut feeling is there may be some inefficiencies. Are there any gotchas?

Discuss
Matt Miller (#4)
Matt Miller (#4)
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)

The gotcha is in the Windowed aggregate itself. It's a bit RBAR-like in that it seems to create a worktable with LOOP joins to the outer query, so its perf tends to suffer a lot with the "window" you're running this against is large. Meaning - if you were to need something like a "percentage of total", and your unsummarized data was large, it would likely be more efficient to use a derived table setup to create the "total", since you can control what method is used to link it into the main query.

On the other hand, if you need quick access to different aggregates (especially ones aggregated against different groupings), and the groups aren't huge, it tends to do VERY well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Steven Cameron
Steven Cameron
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

I think the point of the question is that unless you know how windowed aggregation works, it is a gotcha.
Matt Miller (#4)
Matt Miller (#4)
SSCertifiable

Steven Cameron (6/27/2008)
I think the point of the question is that unless you know how windowed aggregation works, it is a gotcha.

That's certainly a good way to describe it! Although this particular behavior is laid out in ANSI's definition, it's certainly not incredibly well documented elsewhere (and not mentioned per se on Ms' side), so I've actually seen it being disclaimed as "a bug".

Bradley Deem
Bradley Deem
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (567 reputation)

Awesome question, I've actually used the Window functions in the past and the Group By almost got me!
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

That's certainly a good way to describe it! Although this particular behavior is laid out in ANSI's definition, it's certainly not incredibly well documented elsewhere (and not mentioned per se on Ms' side), so I've actually seen it being disclaimed as "a bug".

Now this has me wondering how many other items MS tech writers of BOL have missed or failed to properly communicate with MS development teams about.

Thanks, now I have to determine where to keep that link you provided for my own future reference

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
thuybui-791943
thuybui-791943
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

I received this error while running the query?
Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 17
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'OVER'.

Any idea?
Matt Miller (#4)
Matt Miller (#4)
SSCertifiable

thuybui (6/27/2008)
I received this error while running the query?
Msg 156, Level 15, State 1, Line 17
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'OVER'.

Any idea?

Are you running this in 2005 "native"? meaning - in compatibility 90?

thuybui-791943
thuybui-791943
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

Yes,
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.1399.00
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.