SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Dynamically Generate Folders for File Output using Variables in SSIS

Dynamically Generate Folders for File Output using Variables in SSIS

Author
KenSimmons
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Dynamically Generate Folders for File Output using Variables in SSIS

Ken Simmons
http://twitter.com/KenSimmons
pduplessis-723389
pduplessis-723389
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Really nice article, with a lot of how-to's.

I cannot stop raving about the added flexibility, such as what is described in the article, which will make SSIS king of all ETL tools for years to come.

If you want to really get funky, add an ADO enumerator on top of this (for example, if you are processing an archive with 300 files, all with a datestamp attached, and you want to move them to monthly archive folders which dont exist, have a SQL task that strips out the month and adds distinct months into the ADO enumerator).
This will allow you to add folders for the respective month, and a for each file enumerator inside the for each ADO enumerator, with a restrictive wildcard will allow you to only move those files belonging to the month you just created.

Also, add some package configurations, which will allow you to port your solution to any environment.

Key requirement is naturally that the SQL server agent account has write access to the folder.

My 5 cents worth.

~PD
aysegul
aysegul
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)

Hi,
I can't do the example.
How can ı do? I couldn't find the window in the first picture ( IN sql 2005 management studio)
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)

Nice article.....

KenSimmons
KenSimmons
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

You have to open Sql Server Business Intilligence Development Studio.

Ken Simmons
http://twitter.com/KenSimmons
hodgy
hodgy
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Also, in the example in this article you can do away with the SQL statement and enter the expression directly into the variable.

+ Select the variable and go to it's properties.
+ Change the option "EvaluateAsExpression" to true, then click in the Expression option and open the expression builder.
+ Use this to build your variable's value.

Just another way in SSIS to get things done.

Life: it twists and turns like a twisty turny thing

dfalzone
dfalzone
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

wow, what great timing, thanks Ken!

I have just been given an assignment to produce something exactly like this and earlier solutions I found seemed quite cumbersome.
timothyawiseman
timothyawiseman
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Excellent article. Thank you. This may prove useful.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
dfalzone
dfalzone
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

found this article yesterday and had my on solution running and also passing the variables between packages by the end of the day!Hehe
Lee Hemmings
Lee Hemmings
Valued Member
Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)

Cheers for this.

Guys could you help me with the next step in my SSIS package. Am using the first part to create my folders but i want to use the ftp task next so i can download the files in to that newly created directory. But am having trouble passing the variable to teh ftp task as teh remote path.

Any help would be great.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.