Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Remote Database

Remote Database

Author
jatkin
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all. Is it possible to backup a remote database onto a local machine using SSMS? I am trying to run a job on Server A to backup Server B's database to Server A, as opposed to running job directly on Server B, to see if there are any performance changes. Server B is running SQL Server 2005 Enterprise ed, and is the publisher and distributor.
SQL ORACLE
SQL ORACLE
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

The answer is YES. Use network path in your backup command.
jatkin
jatkin
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Thanks. Could you show me where I would put the network path in this example?

BACKUP DATABASE [database2] TO DISK =
SQL ORACLE
SQL ORACLE
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

BACKUP DATABASE [database2] TO DISK = '\\myServer\C$\myDB.bak'
jatkin
jatkin
Forum Newbie

I don't think that would help me. That appears to backup the local database to a remote server. I am looking for a way to specify that the database I am trying to copy is on a different server, while backing up on the local server, through a job running on the local server.
Manoj-485464
Manoj-485464
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)

dbhelp (6/2/2008)
I don't think that would help me. That appears to backup the local database to a remote server. I am looking for a way to specify that the database I am trying to copy is on a different server, while backing up on the local server, through a job running on the local server.

Thanks SQL ORACLE, You mentioned correct. You have to give the Correct network path. I have SSDS environment and I use the same to take a backup of the DB in other server AS SQL ORACLE mentioned above.

First have mo make sure that file system have proper permission on it.

\\abcdefg\$E\MSSQL\MSSQL1\Backup

Manoj

MCP, MCTS (GDBA/EDA)

SQLFan888
SQLFan888
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Yes you can do this. Use this tool: BAK to local it will directly put a BAK file to your local machine.
sqlbuddy123
sqlbuddy123
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

SQL ORACLE (6/2/2008)
BACKUP DATABASE [database2] TO DISK = '\\myServer\C$\myDB.bak'

Follow this advice from SQL ORACLE. It works

--
SQLBuddy
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.