SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Query

Query

Author
webrunner
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
ezlikesundaymorning (5/14/2008)
OK, just plain and simple, I am going to give my 2 cents worth here. This question is pure BS. I mean has anyone here ever seen a query written like this? In my house(place of business) the person who tried to get this through me, would be ridiculed beyond belief. I mean really, did I get the question wrong, yep. Did I also think that the question was misleading, yep. Do I know a developer that would try to get this past me, nope. Lets get some real questions in here. First off I do not even let anyone write in ANSI 89 SQL. Plain and simple it is my way or the highway.

I can sympathize with your frustration, but there have been several good questions in a row, and I agree that this one was not as good. But there has been an effort to post better questions.

webrunner

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
ezlikesundaymorning
ezlikesundaymorning
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)

Excellent. I guess that I can just sit here and bitch or start contributing myself when it all boils down to it. Thanks for the reply. I am just not interested in seeing things like this make it into the questions, in the last several weeks, there have been quite a few really good questions and some that stretched me out a little because I had not become familiar with that new functionality yet.

DEX
BigGrin
The more you help the business, the more they will help you...well sometimes anyway.
webrunner
webrunner
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.1K reputation)

Excellent. I guess that I can just sit here and bitch or start contributing myself when it all boils down to it. Thanks for the reply. I am just not interested in seeing things like this make it into the questions, in the last several weeks, there have been quite a few really good questions and some that stretched me out a little because I had not become familiar with that new functionality yet.

That's probably a good idea - you'd write better questions than I would, that's for sure.

I think the questions of the day tend to have trouble when they try to be too tricky, or rely only on one obscure trick instead of teaching you something about SQL or about how you think about problems. Today's question was a little like that, in my opinion, although some others thought it was fine.

Cheers,
webrunner

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)

OK, just plain and simple, I am going to give my 2 cents worth here. This question is pure BS. I mean has anyone here ever seen a query written like this? In my house(place of business) the person who tried to get this through me, would be ridiculed beyond belief. I mean really, did I get the question wrong, yep. Did I also think that the question was misleading, yep. Do I know a developer that would try to get this past me, nope. Lets get some real questions in here. First off I do not even let anyone write in ANSI 89 SQL. Plain and simple it is my way or the highway.

Scott,

This is one of the points about the QOD, to show that while something may compile and run, it is not the best way to do it or do what was expected.
Glad to know you have standards, but unfortunately not everyone has the same standards so someone may encounter this scenario in real life and may now know how to remedy it.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
TheRedneckDBA
TheRedneckDBA
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

I thought it was a good question, even if I did get it wrong Smile

The Redneck DBA
ezlikesundaymorning
ezlikesundaymorning
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)

I agree. Tricks are not something that I value highly, good sound principles are something that I would enjoy more.

DEX
BigGrin
The more you help the business, the more they will help you...well sometimes anyway.
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)SSC-Forever (46K reputation)

webrunner (5/14/2008)

That's probably a good idea - you'd write better questions than I would, that's for sure.

I think the questions of the day tend to have trouble when they try to be too tricky, or rely only on one obscure trick instead of teaching you something about SQL or about how you think about problems. Today's question was a little like that, in my opinion, although some others thought it was fine.

Cheers,
webrunner

I agree with both sentiments. I try really hard to support anyone who submits a QOD because I don't do it.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Q -631159
Q -631159
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)SSC-Addicted (449 reputation)

I think the question is good and the possible answers were fine. To me, the first 2 possible answers showed what the author was trying to get across. I agree that the query is bad and as GSquared said it shows that just because a query runs doesn't make it correct nor does it make it good.

Q

Please take a number. Now serving emergency 1,203,894
Marius Els
Marius Els
Old Hand
Old Hand (342 reputation)Old Hand (342 reputation)Old Hand (342 reputation)Old Hand (342 reputation)Old Hand (342 reputation)Old Hand (342 reputation)Old Hand (342 reputation)Old Hand (342 reputation)

I agree with Jack's last comment, it's excellent to have structure in place in terms of standards, and as I mentioned in the beginning of this discussion, this is a interesting way of possibly, in some weird requirement, to have a solution.
ezlikesundaymorning
ezlikesundaymorning
SSC-Enthusiastic

Jack,
You are right in stating that it would be something that people could run into, but then again you would have all of the pieces there to deal with it better. Fortunately, I only get to deal with 30 page stored procedures all written in dynamic SQL...Sick Do they suck, oh yeah, but it is our responsibility to teach those that do not know what type of things are acceptable and what are not. This could have been some old legacy code that was left over from the stone age, at which case it is something to deal with and troubleshoot, but then again not all of the pieces were there. I could have guessed....then again we all know what assumptions are like. Thanks for the response. The question should have had more details to keep the user from making assumptions. I guess also that I should not be defending my bitching anymore, the question was poorly put together, certainly a possible real world scenario, those that benefit should enjoy.

Dex

DEX
BigGrin
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.