SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Largest Replicated Database

Largest Replicated Database

Author
Rob DeMotsis
Valued Member
Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)Valued Member (57 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
What is the largest database any of you have ever replicated?

Rob DeMotsis
Sr. SQL Server DBA
Pier 1 Imports, Inc.

Rob DeMotsis
Sr. SQL Server DBA
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators
5g or so. Only time the size matters is if you're doing a snapshot. Across a slow link it can take a while! You can always work around that issue. Besides that the other consideration is going to be how many trans per sec you have to support and what kind of latency you have.

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Nick Beagley
Nick Beagley
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (609 reputation)SSChasing Mays (609 reputation)SSChasing Mays (609 reputation)SSChasing Mays (609 reputation)SSChasing Mays (609 reputation)SSChasing Mays (609 reputation)SSChasing Mays (609 reputation)SSChasing Mays (609 reputation)

20 Gig - Transactional replication.

As Andy said it's the snapshot that's the problem. BCPing all the data. If you can afford a small downtime on your publisher you may be better to establish the subscription with @sync_type = 'NONE' and then backup-restore to the other server (or log ship to it to minimise downtime), rename the database, truncate all the tables on your subscriber that you aren't interested in, and then kick off your @sync_type = 'NONE' subscription.

Thinking about it now you don't really have to have a downtime on your publisher. You can just let the subscription fail because there's no database there (or stop it before it does), and your transactions can build up in the distributiondb while you setup the subscriber.

Neil S Hambly
Neil S Hambly
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)Grasshopper (20 reputation)

Overall my largets DB is around 30GB (Transactionally) with one of the tables over 8GB on it'd own, it really depends on the overall Transactions.
Only had a couple of Problems when Timeouts had occurred and this stops replication when it is trying to apply a command IE Delete when the operation ahs already occurred. usually just a case of removing the commands for that article and then redoing the original steps and letting replication start over again.
Overall my I/O's todate for the Subscriber/Source Database is presently over 2TB(yes 2000 GB of I/O's)

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.