Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Restore database from network drive

Restore database from network drive

Author
ALIF-662928
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (765 reputation)Right there with Babe (765 reputation)Right there with Babe (765 reputation)Right there with Babe (765 reputation)Right there with Babe (765 reputation)Right there with Babe (765 reputation)Right there with Babe (765 reputation)Right there with Babe (765 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
As James said above will be the ideal solution for your issue, if not then instead of restoring directly from network, you can copy a backup file to test and restore it there as it will be more fast restoring locally without any effect on the network.
rkapiljith
rkapiljith
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

To check your computer name do this step...

From the windows start button>>Run>>Type "msinfo32.exe"

This will show the details of System Information,From the "System Summary" check the detail of "System Name" (xxxxxxx) which is your computer name.

So your UNC path would be like:

\\xxxxxxx\Kapils_Backup\WSS_Content_Farm_AA.bak

This entry should be given for two sections after clicking "Add" button ie: for "Selected path" & "File name".

Now the files from that shared location would be added to restore the DB.Dont worry about n/w paths not displaying...Your files are accessible check it...Have a good day.

Regards,
Kapiljith.R
Victor Alvarez-1138365
Victor Alvarez-1138365
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

Hello ALIF,

You can backup / restore your database to / from share folder, just defining the UNC name on the BACKUP/RESTORE statement.

The BOL said:
If you are using a network server with a Uniform Naming Convention (UNC) name or using a redirected drive letter, specify a device type of disk.

you can try the following:

backup database MyDB
to disk = '\\shareserver\backup\backup.bak'

or
restore database MyDB
from disk = '\\shareserver\backup\backup.bak'

With Regards,

Victor Alvarez
http://sqlpost.blogspot.com
rksqldba
rksqldba
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hey don`t use the entire path in the file name text box. use the path \\computername\foldername in the text box called SELECTED PATH. The use the file name backupfile.bak in the FILE NAME text box.
jdneilso
jdneilso
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

When restoring a database, mapping the unc directly did not work for me. I got a permission error.

I created a share where the backup file exists, then used the unc directly to the share:

Example:

so instead of
\\111.111.111.111\f$\SQL\BACKUPDIR

I created a share called BCKSHARE on SQL\BACKUPDIR

Then I used

\\111.111.111.11\sharename

This worked for me.
GJR saurabh_singh
GJR saurabh_singh
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)

I had the same issue.

Database backup was on another server (server X). I tried restoring that backup on server A.
I was able to access backup folder (not the shared folder but actual folder using \\serverX\v:\mssql\backup) using my windows login (which were also used as windows authentication to login sql serverA)

Specifying the address gave me error that SQL Server was not able to access the location specified or there is issue with access rights.

Then I tried using the shared folder address ie \\ServerX\backup - still got the same message
Then I gave the account under which MSSQL service was running - READ rights on shared folder in ServerX. After this, when I gave shared folder address to restore database, it went on smoothly
ARC211
ARC211
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

Creating a share where the file exists, then giving the account MSSQLSERVER rights to the folder worked like a charm... Thanks all
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.