SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Backups

Backups

Author
Site Owners
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Backups
Ramkumar.K
Ramkumar.K
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (571 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (571 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (571 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (571 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (571 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (571 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (571 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (571 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi..

While we are taking Full Backup on a DB, I hope the Log files also be got backed up. Then How it is possible to run a full back up and Transaction log backup simultaneously???

Will there any conflict come???

Can any one explain about it??

Ramkumar . K
Senior Developer
######################
No Surrender... No Give Up....
######################
rene-500237
rene-500237
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Hi all,
as far as I can read the table log backup and DB backaup cannot be run at the same time. And if so I like to get my 2 points Wink
Regards
steveb.
steveb.
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

check the link, according to the diagram they can.
There is no black dot this means that they can be run at the same time.
rene-500237
rene-500237
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

normally I read the dots as 'is working OK' and not vice versa.w00t
Regards
steveb.
steveb.
SSChampion

yeah, i had to read it a couple of times as well Smile
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCoach
SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)SSCoach (19K reputation)

Dots or no dots from:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa225964(SQL.80).aspx
The following text:

Note During a full database or differential backup, Microsoft® SQL Server™
backs up enough of the transaction log to produce a consistent database for when the database is restored.

Now I know the question is can a backup be started ... does not ask if it must be successful or even completed, but that is implied for why else would you do it.

So my question is: How does SQL backup a portion of the log file when the log file can not be backed up due to an open transaction.

Will somebody please explain.?

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Alan Vogan
Alan Vogan
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

The real answer to this question? The user doesn't know anything about full back-ups or log back-ups. I've got 3000 other things on my plate. They'll be able to run that report in about 20 minutes... Wink
rlondon
rlondon
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

The following link also shows that the two can be run concurrently
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187900.aspx
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (180K reputation)SSC Guru (180K reputation)SSC Guru (180K reputation)SSC Guru (180K reputation)SSC Guru (180K reputation)SSC Guru (180K reputation)SSC Guru (180K reputation)SSC Guru (180K reputation)

Group: Administrators
The database backup backs up all pages, then it scans the logs, grabbing pages needed to cover transactions that have taken place since the backup started. In this way it has a consistent backup while allowing users to still work on the database. The full backup does not change or alter the log, which is why you need log backups to clear the log. And this is why the log backup can be run at the same time.

Would you do this? I have seen scheduled conflict, though it's not likely you would purposely do this.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.