SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Import XML Data into SQL Server database using SSIS package?????

Import XML Data into SQL Server database using SSIS package?????

Author
TonyP
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Is this even possible? I looked everywhere. I can't find a tutorial to save my life. All I found on internet are a bunch of unanswered questions like mine. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Tim Mitchell
Tim Mitchell
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

In the SSIS data flow task, there is an XML Source component which allows you to specify your source XML file and optional XSD schema. From there you can pipe the data into a SQL Server destination.

hth,
Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
ETL Best Practices

TonyP
TonyP
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. What I ended up doing was purchasing the book Professional SQL Server 2005 Integration Services. I found the answer in there, but I ran into a new problem that doesn't seem to be addressed by the book.

Initially after running my package, I got an error on a couple of my fields stating that an unicode string could can not be convert to a non-unicode string. I solved this issue by changing the datatypes in my database from varchar to nvarchar.

However in the near future, I am not going to have a choice to change the datatypes in the database. Is there another way of handling situations like this within the package itself?
Tim Mitchell
Tim Mitchell
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

You bet... what you want is the Data Conversion component. Stick it between your XML source and your SQL destination in your Data Flow, and you can convert Unicode to ASCII or vice versa.

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
ETL Best Practices

aliang
aliang
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

I am also trying to import a xml file to SQL tables using SSIS Data Flow Task --> XML source
--> OLEDB destination. I provided the xml file and a xsd file in the XML souce editor.

The extraction of the XML file will created 5 tables. My problem is that one of the tables
is empty. Any idea how to solve this problem? I have tried to add a "root" node to the
XML file, and it worked. Is there any other way to solve this problem without manually
changing the XML file?

Thanks!
TonyP
TonyP
SSC Rookie

Hello

Actually, I haven't gotten this far myself. I ran into issues getting my XML file to validate using a provided XML schema. While trying to get this to work using C# code, I realized that I needed multiple schema files in order for it to work.

It looks like I ran into a limitation of the XML Source. It only allows you to use one XML schema file. I need to use multiple files.
ranjitk
ranjitk
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Believe I too had this problem where one schema depended upon another one. I saved a copy of the second schema in the same location and it worked.

Issue I am facing is that I need to update a table based on information from the xml-source; lookup field in the xml source is in one logical group, while the source for update is in another. God save me, or may be an mvp/guruWink
Radoslaw Jaszek
Radoslaw Jaszek
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hello,

Can anyone help me with importing xml file that contains inline schema ? Any example, please...

Many thanks.
ronnieperetz
ronnieperetz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

what page in the book tell you how to get the relationship to work between the 5 tables?
I getting a hard time getting the relations of "one to many" to work in my output sql tables
ramesh.sripathi-823300
ramesh.sripathi-823300
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Hi

I am working on SSIS

I have an XML file that consists of nearly 5 tables of data,I have one XSD generated based on the XML file.

I need to populate the data present in XML file into corresponding five tables

Please help me out how to resolve this issue
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.