SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server Agent won't start

SQL Server Agent won't start

Author
Omoba
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
sorry, forgot to include the message on the result pane

Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 1 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.
Configuration option 'Agent XPs' changed from 0 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!!Cool
Omoba
Omoba
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)SSChasing Mays (637 reputation)

thanks all,
after i executed the block of code (Phillip's) and refreshed my connection, i could open the properties of SQLSERVERAGENT, which prior to now had been greyed out(disabled).

As i went through each of the tabs, i realised i had mistakenly typed the server name in the "alias local host server" box in the connection tab. i deleted the entry and restarted the agent and it worked!!

i haven't sorted out the notification mailing though, but i'm glad scheduled jobs can run now.

thanks again

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All it takes, is a step in the right direction, your feet will manage to find the way. I didn't say it'll be easy!!!Cool
xanthos
xanthos
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (791 reputation)Right there with Babe (791 reputation)Right there with Babe (791 reputation)Right there with Babe (791 reputation)Right there with Babe (791 reputation)Right there with Babe (791 reputation)Right there with Babe (791 reputation)Right there with Babe (791 reputation)

Hi,

I've had the same problem: enabling Agent XPs didn't help.

I've managed to fix it by repairing the Native Client setup:

-Select "Run the SQL Native Client Installation Wizard" in the setup screen
-Click "Next"
-select "Repair" and click "Next"
-Click "Install" and "Finish"

Try to start the service now.
Big Data Man
Big Data Man
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

bimpe_d (3/7/2008)
thanks all,
after i executed the block of code (Phillip's) and refreshed my connection, i could open the properties of SQLSERVERAGENT, which prior to now had been greyed out(disabled).

As i went through each of the tabs, i realised i had mistakenly typed the server name in the "alias local host server" box in the connection tab. i deleted the entry and restarted the agent and it worked!!

i haven't sorted out the notification mailing though, but i'm glad scheduled jobs can run now.

thanks again

Hi bimpe_d,

Great result and thanks for update!!

Phillip Cox
MCITP - DBAdmin
curious_sqldba
curious_sqldba
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7K reputation)

awesome xanthos...it worked for me..thanks
andymay-496937
andymay-496937
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)

Hi There

I have this issue, but I get no logging of any errors in the Windows event log or in the SQL Server logs, infact the last error log in the SQL Server agent log is about 2 months old.

The server was migrated from one VMWare Host to another and I had to re-install SQL server, after an unistall because the repair wouldn't work, I guess it could be an issue there, but I can't see what?

Any help appreciated
PatMoe
PatMoe
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)

I went to the trouble of setting up a new account just so I could post here and say thanks to xanthos.

This problem was making me crazy till I read your post and went to add/remove programs and repaired like you said.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.