Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Cost of Function Use In A Where Clause

The Cost of Function Use In A Where Clause

Author
GregoryAJackson
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (182 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Cost of Function Use In A Where Clause

Gregory A Jackson MBA, CSM
Heiko Hatzfeld
Heiko Hatzfeld
Valued Member
Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)

Good Article...

I often see querries who do this wrong... Especially the "Date-30" querries.
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)

Good article.

Mostly we ignore this when we write T-SQL. That time our main concern is the right solution (mostly). Thanx for a good article.

leea
leea
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Good article, I guess the same applies to the use of case statements in the where clause which the performance hit has caused us to rewrite a few SPs!!!

Leendert van Staalduinen
Leendert van Staalduinen
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)

I found this a very understandable article. Assuming that everything that has been written is correct (and I have no reason to doubt that), this is very valuable information for me: it gives some understanding, plus practical, everyday examples with solutions. What else does someone wants to know ?
I am eager to read other people's comments.
Suggestion: see also the very valuable SSC article "TSQL LAB 2 - Writing Conditional WHERE Clauses", posted on February 27, 2008.
Leendert.
w.lengenfelder
w.lengenfelder
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)

Thanks for this good Article

If you wont use time data for searching you need to cut off the time information.
The query can look like:

WHERE PlacedOnQueue <= DateAdd(mm,-30,DateAdd(dd,DateDiff(dd,0,GetDate()),0))
Palwi Chugh
Palwi Chugh
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Hi,
I have table with one of its column(Created_Date) as smalldatetime, having index created on it.
Now I have to query this table to get all records with created_date equal to some specific date. I am using following query for this

select * from table_name where dateDiff(d,@varDate,Created_Date) =0

But this query doesn't seems to be optimized as its not making any use of index created on Created_Date.

Can any one help me on this.
leea
leea
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

try something along the lines of

select * from table_name where convert(varchar(11), Created_Date, 106) = convert(varchar(11), @varDate, 106)

w.lengenfelder
w.lengenfelder
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (138 reputation)

you can also try this

SELECT *
FROM table_name
WHERE Created_Date BETWEEN
DATEADD(d,DATEDIFF(d,0,@varDate),0)
AND DATEADD(ms, -3,DATEADD(d,DATEDIFF(d,0,@varDate)+1,0))

Palwi Chugh
Palwi Chugh
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Well this too will work, but my problem is still same if use convert in where clause it'll not make use of index and thus performane issue remains the same
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.