SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Building a Better Career

Building a Better Career

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Building a Better Career

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Will1922
Will1922
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (943 reputation)SSC Eights! (943 reputation)SSC Eights! (943 reputation)SSC Eights! (943 reputation)SSC Eights! (943 reputation)SSC Eights! (943 reputation)SSC Eights! (943 reputation)SSC Eights! (943 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Just a note, your first two links in the article are dead links.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live
Will Summers
Scott Arendt
Scott Arendt
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Will-

The links from the online version are working. It is just the ones in the daily e-mail that are wrong.

Scott
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

I will strongly agree with your last point. I've seen that over and over again, often with complaints about favouritism from those who don't focus on their careers.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Charles Kincaid
Charles Kincaid
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Hey, I'm planning on listing SQL Server Central frequent readership as career development. If I can hold my own with heavy hitters like you lot that has to stand for something.

ATBCharles Kincaid
Wayne West
Wayne West
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Being a compulsive information gatherer/cataloger, from early on and before MP3 and P2P, I had my CD collection cataloged in Access. I had over 500 discs, and wanted to make sure that I explored a decent cross-section of my collection. I had a CD boombox at work, so I wrote a selection randomizer that would walk my list and assign a 1% chance of a disc being selected.

But I added all sorts of lovely complications. First, I had bit fields to exclude albums (I don't want Christmas music not in December). Then it would remember that an album had been selected in the last five passes and skip it. It would spit out a list of ten discs to grab (the number that fit in my CD wallet) and that would be my mix for the week. I've done other similarly pointless database projects, fun for me but nothing that I'd bother releasing to the public at large.

It was fun, and all but totally pointless. But it certainly helped in my Access programming. It's certainly not a technique that I would be likely to put into a production scenario.

Now I design card games using Access as both the data repository and the form generator for doing the printing. I just have to figure out if I'm going to attempt it on my Mac with something like File Maker, or continue running Parallels and flipping over to my XP install. My initial feelings with File Maker is that I'll be ice skating in Phoenix in August before that happens.

Last December I gave myself a musical resolution: listen to all of my music in iTunes -- alphabetically! It took 7-8 months, IIRC.

It's a good thing to twist your neurons on occasion.

-----
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Sorry about the links. Not sure what's wrong, but I'll see if I can track it down.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Reading SSC every day is a good part of a professionald development plan, especially combined with a few targeted blogs.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Sarah Dutkiewicz
Sarah Dutkiewicz
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)SSC Veteran (236 reputation)

I definitely agree with this editorial that it shouldn't solely be the employers' responsibility to provide training and help further a person's career. One thing I learned early on was to network with other people in my field - through conferences, message boards, user groups, etc. By networking, I've found other ways to further my career. Maintaining a membership in a professional group that gives its users unlimited access to books and training courses helps. Reading articles on topics I enjoy also helps - which is part of why I enjoy SSC. Databases have always appealed to me, and I like being able to learn things that I wouldn't necessarily run into on my own.
Charles Kincaid
Charles Kincaid
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Good point Sarah. Can you imagine an employer who says not only am I going to give you a good income for your 40 per week but I'm going to spend lot's of my money to train you for your next job? The military does this.

You have to invest in yourself. If you don't why should someone else invest in you? One does this not to get bigger in themselves but to be able to render greater service. Of course the rewards get bigger but that has to follow.

ATBCharles Kincaid
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.